Our truck is a bird magnet!!! AHHH!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 19hhbelgian, Dec 22, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Ok... Here are 4 stories I can remember clearly.

#1: Driving down the road and still had a ski rack on the roof... Bird flies up in front of me, but doesn't hit the truck. Whew! I go up into the bathroom and happen to look out the window and down to the truck roof. There's the bird, stuck in the stinkin' rack!! [​IMG] I go out and remove him, apologizing [​IMG]

#2: We're going down the road, one side is fields other side is a bank with trees. All of a sudden a bird just falls out of the trees and litterally explodes on the windshield - I have never smelled anything that bad in my life [​IMG] We actually had to open the windows because the smell coming in the vents was so bad. I could see the small feathers, then realized there were maggots on the windshield too [​IMG] That completely grossed me out. Thought it couldn't get any worse... Then DH tried to wash the windshield. He did succeed in smearing the whole mess all over the glass, but no cleaning of the windshield what so ever [​IMG] We figured a Mom bird finally decided that that particular chick wasn't doing so well [​IMG] so she finally [​IMG] right as we came along. What luck!

#3: Again, going at a good clip down the road, and all of a sudden some sort of large bird run out in front of us like a stinkin' road runner! THUD - he never felt a thing, but non-the-less I feel terrible. Every now and then we see a feather fly up so figured we'd better stop and see if there was any damage. We drive another 3 miles up the road, and pull off into the local reastraunts parking lot, slow down right in front at the windows, where people are eating, then drive forward to a better spot. We get out and go to the front of the truck and f course the fog light was just gone, other than that nothing too bad. We walk around the side of the truck, and up where we slowed down (at the windows with people looking out of them eating), we see the cook holding a peacock, looking up in the sky, trying to figure out where the bird came from [​IMG] [​IMG] DH walks over and says, "I think he's ours" [​IMG] We explained what happened (So the cook knew it wasn't raining peacocks [​IMG]), and he asked us if we wanted the peacock. We said not really, he's all yours... Cook says he has a buddy that does the whole animal mount/stuffing thing, and he proceeds to call the guy. Apparently he was told to put the bird in the freezer... Well, in it went! [​IMG] [​IMG] We didn't eat there for a little while [​IMG]

#4: Last night coming home. Looked like a piece of dirty snow in the road. DH drove over top of it and I heard a thud. I said "was that a bird??!" He hadn't heard anything, and when we went past the spot this morning, there wasn't anything there, so I figured it was just some snow. We went into the diner, had breakfast, then came back out. I happened to look down at the front of the truck and there's a poor little mourning dove stuck in the truck [​IMG] [​IMG] I yelped at DH "It WAS a poor bird!" I told him to get it out there, but he said no because we were parked right in front of the diner...

DH suggested we get a bug deflector that says "Bird Magnet" on it [​IMG] This keeps happeneing and the birds are going to gang up on us [​IMG] [​IMG] Anybody else have these problems?? Please tell me I'm not the only one!

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    For me it seems to depend on what time of day it is. Dawn is the best time for birds in the road, late morning is a good time to find box turtles. I drove my son to town one day and came home with 4 of them and put them in the yard. Giant snappers are always out in the summer too- but I'm never going near on of them again! Eeeek!

That's crazy about the peacock. I have seen them crossing the road here- but can't say I ever heard of somebody hitting one [​IMG]

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Maybe you could mount a huge plastic owl on the grill?

[​IMG]

PS...the peacock story nearly made me wet my pants.... rof!

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Yup, it's a bird magnet! I hit a duck once and that totally grossed me out. [​IMG]

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I hit a bat once

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

Oh man, that's rich. And totally something I'd do. We DO have an owl around here somewhere... B drags home The Weirdest things from work. [​IMG]

The ONLY animal I've ever hit was a stinkin' pigeon. There was a whole mess of them in the road, so I slowed down.... and slowed down... and slowed down... and of course they all took off... except ONE... stupid thing waited until I was THERE to fly... right into the grill. That was prolly 10 years ago and I STILL feel bad. So far I've managed to avoid hitting anything else, but it's been close. Stupid squirrels around here are road hogs.

Of course, speed limit in my neighborhood is 30, so most folks should be able to stop in time in good weather. On a busy road where the speed is higher... I donno what you could do... maybe paint your truck a really obnoxious yellow... I like the owl idea... OHHH HEY... get the cook to call his friend... he can stuff you an owl (or maybe hawk?) in FLIGHT... that way the birds will haul tail to get away from the big bad bird... Wouldn't this make a heck of a hood ornament?

[​IMG]

7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    The thing I can't figure out is why I always have chickens jumping in and hitching a ride to our farm [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by