1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our Tudor Style Coop (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by m2wandc, May 16, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Hubby has embarked on a coop building project because I happen to come home with some chicks...he didn't get much notice, but has done a great job IMHO on making something that is functional and matches the buildings on our property.

The chickens will free range in the fenced area surrounding the coop most of the time, but they will be very happy in their coop/run on the rainy days when they have to stay locked up.

Here are some 'in progress' shots of the coop being built...still has a little more to go, but you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel...LOL [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these two look very similar to the above two, the difference is there are some added doors...still some doors to add on the storage under unit area and the main door into the coop, but you can get the gist of it... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the coop is up top and the storage is under

I'll post a final pic once it's completed...should be soon for these girls (hopefully girls, but have suspicion on one of them being a roo) are living outside full time. (disclosure, my daughter is allowed in the house, she won't be part of the "GIRLS" that will be in the coop) LOL [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG] Very nice coop and cool paint job

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That is so Awesome coop, I love it.
    very nice Job.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Nice coop!

Now I have coop envy! [​IMG]

5. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Does anyone think it might be ONE LONG ramp to get in the coop? I didn't want to say anything as my hubby has been working really hard on it...but seems like it might be tricky for the chicks to get in there??? what are your thoughts?

Should the ramp be long and pretty wide? Or are chickens good at climbing narrow bridges...LOL [​IMG]

6. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Awesome coop! I sooo have coop envy too! I am going to have to work on making mine look better!!!!! [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You could make a ramp that has a side on it, so they don't fall off. Or you could make a platform in front of the door, and they could just fly up to it.

Oh, and btw, your BR is a girl [​IMG] Can't tell on the other one. Can I borrow your hubby? I need some coops built! [​IMG]

8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I think they will be fine with the long bridge. [​IMG] Just make sure you put some "steps" on there to ensure they don't slide and get splinters which leads to infections. Great coop by the way!! [​IMG]

9. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:What makes you think this? the Buff Orpington feathered out REALLY FAST (4 weeks old today) and got tail feathers on day 3...the Barred Rock took forever to get any tail feathers and is just not getting significant feathers...

I'm worried, I don't want a rooster... [​IMG]

10. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    I just gently gave 'suggestions' to my hubby on the ramp...and he gave me the "I'll have to think about it" look...and I know that means he'll think about it and come up with something that was HIS idea...and that is AOK with me! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by