Our turkey is very unwell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuzanneW, Oct 15, 2012.

1. SuzanneW

SuzanneW Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    France
    Ok, she is not interested in food at all, but does still have the fight in her, as when I picked her up, she protested and very strongly.

I am sure it is coming from inside her as her breathing is VERY laboured. She is weak and keeps closing her eyes.

Her toilet is a deep yellow, but not particularly runny more the constistancy of half boiled egg!

Presently, she is in a box in doors due to it being warmer

Could it be worms?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I really don't know where to check for problems. Her legs are normal in size, so it is not that.

Thank you in advice, if you could advise me on what action to take.

Suzanne

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Hi, I've never kept turkeys but didn't want to leave your post unanswered, as I know how worrying it is to have a poorly bird!

Yellow poop in chickens can often mean an infection somewhere. Could you start your bird on a course of antibiotics? The sooner the better if she does have an internal infection. It won't hurt either way. Also do all you can to tempt her to eat & drink - syringe feed if necessary. She'll need her strength to fight whatever is happening.
    Keeping her warm is great, too.

3. SuzanneW

Oct 1, 2012
    France
    Ah thank you so much for taking the time to reply and offer suggestions.

I know this sounds strange, but can I use human medication as we have tons of antibiotices?

We have a large rabbit house, so I am going to put her in there, and thanks to your wonderful suggest, I shall have a go at springe feeding her.

Well I best get to it. I cannot believe how painful it is to me seeing her suffering like this; honesty it tears my heart apart!

4. SuzanneW

Oct 1, 2012
    France
    Sadly it is too late! I just found her dead so now I have to hope this does not happen again!!

5. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Oh I'm really sorry to hear that. At least she went quickly.
    Disinfect everything in the coop where she has been, to be sure none of your other birds pick up the same germs. Hopefully this was just one of those things.
    Sorry for you loss x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by