1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our Turkey Processing Set-up Today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bil, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Just thought I would share how we processed our turkeys today.

We had 4 turkeys to do (1 tom and 3 hens). The tom weighed 47 pounds live weight and the hens weighed 30-34 pounds live weight today.

I took from a number of different people on here on how we processed. Here is our set up for scalding:

[​IMG]

This worked out great even for the big tom. He was too heavy to lift alone so we tied his feet to a 2x4 and then me and my wife could lift and lower him together with no problem!

We gave one hen to my SIL, 2 are on the stovetop now cooking so we can can them tomorrow. And the tom is soaking and will be brined later this week for Thanksgiving!

We should have processed the turkeys about 2 months ago, but better late than never!

After processing the tom weighed around 40 pounds and the hens aroun 20-25 pounds.

If you're in the area on Thursday, we should have MORE than enough turkey!! [​IMG]

Bil

2. BridgeTea

BridgeTea Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    Michigan
    I like how you solved the problem of lifting and dunking the large bird. Enjoy your dinner Thursday!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I waited as you did just a little too long and we dressed ours out at 48 lbs he wouldn't fit in the oven talk about being disapointed LOL. I learned my lesson.

AL

4. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    ya i let my birds go to long last year one tom didnt fix in the fryer to i use a 35gal garbage can to scald him too
    he did fit in the oven either so we cut him in half and cooked the breast then the rest the next day

5. TechEdFireman

TechEdFireman Chillin' With My Peeps

I did my 2 BBB Christmas and Thanskgiving on Friday the hen was 33 live and 26 dressed and the tom was 57 live and 50 dressed out. I was able to scald the hen and put it in the whizbang but the tom was too heavy to lift into the scalder so I had to hand pluck that one. I enjoyed raising them this year I can't wait to see how they taste.

6. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Nicely done bil, I would not have thought of using T posts to support the garbage can though. hmm

7. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Quote:Thanks!, but I wish I could take credit for that, but that great idea (as well as the bbq grate) go to my incredibly smart wife!!

Bil

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by