Our turkey that thinks he is a chicken (pic fixed)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ezgreen, Dec 25, 2010.

1. ezgreen

ezgreen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    My stepmom had a broody hen and found some wild turkey eggs in the bushes. She put those eggs under the hen and she hatched 3 turkeys. Predators ended up getting 2 of them. But one is now grown and is tame and still hangs out with the chickens. It was very sweet to watch him follow his chicken mom around.

Now, over a year later, this is our turkey that thinks he is a chicken:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can't wait to see the pic.

Laree has a turkey that also thinks it's a chicken and he just can't get the hens to cooperate with him. (He would probably crush them to death in an attempt to mate)

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wish the pic were bigger!

4. ezgreen

Dec 5, 2010
    This picture was taken on Thanksgiving [​IMG] ...he just walks up to you and gobbles!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  5. ezgreen

Dec 5, 2010
    Quote:There is a female wild turkey that is his girlfriend. She is semi-tame at this point. There are quite a few wild turkeys that hang around the perimeter of their farm. The female has been hanging around with the chickens, too but is not as tame as this one. But he doesn't mess with the hens since he has her.

6. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    just thought I would share - We have a Royal Palm turkey who also thinks he is a chicken - he has his own pen in the coop.. He is let out each morning to roam the coop and run with the chickens - he doesn't run or get scared of us.. he follows us around the coop and when the chickens run for a treat he is right there.. Tom is 4 years old and a very good bird...

I need to get a pic of him and post it on my BYC page - he is very pretty

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    You mean those aren't just big chickens? [​IMG] You sure can't tell them that! My two are the same way...Tom is always flirting with the hens and Lara is always getting on him about cheating on her with those half pint hussies [​IMG]

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    That is amazing to raise a wild turkey and have it that tame.....I wish I could find some wild turkey eggs....

9. ezgreen

Dec 5, 2010
    I just looked up Royal Palm turkeys. They are beautiful!

10. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    here is he pic of Mr. Tom - his camera shy.....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by