Our Unexpected Visitor

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by julie75, May 20, 2011.

1. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wanted to share some pictures of our short term visitor, a Southern Flying Squirrel. He is currently back in the wild after a few weeks of rehabilitation. He got caught up in some crossfire and was accidentally shot. We called him Lucky because he only had a broken foot, which we think happened in the fall, and a missing toe. We tried to keep him in a hamster cage but he decided he liked one of my potted plants better. Prior to his release we lost him in the house for about 3 days. The only time you would see him was at night running across the curtains. They are so small and extremely fast. Believe me he drove our Jack Russell crazy. When we finally found him sleeping inside a vase on top of the kitchen cabinets we decided it was time for Lucky to find him a new home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Cuteness Overload!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    OMG, he's so cute!!! The pics with the hand are great, they really show his tiny size. So glad he's okay and back in the wild.

A side note about the name Lucky: My vet once told me that he cringes every time he sees pets named Lucky, because they're always the most unluckiest of pets. [​IMG]

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    he's adorable! good for you for taking him in!

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    So dang cute!!!!! I'm surprised your JRT didn't get him ----- or tear the house apart trying!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

OMGosh!!! Glad the little feller is back in the great outdoors. Boy would that have been tempting to keep such a cutie...just want to snuggle him! [​IMG]

7. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

A side note about the name Lucky: My vet once told me that he cringes every time he sees pets named Lucky, because they're always the most unluckiest of pets.

A friend of ours was trying to shoot a coon that ran up a tree and I was amazed that this little rascal only lost a toe. I called him Lucky, and my DH called him unlucky for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm surprised your JRT didn't get him ----- or tear the house apart trying!

Luckily our Shadow (JRT) listens very well. He would sit in the living room and stalk this squirrell as it run back and forth across the curtains.

Boy would that have been tempting to keep such a cutie...just want to snuggle him!

You can have them for pets in NC, but he was just too wild. You wouldn't be able to snuggle with that little critter. He has some VERY sharp teeth and drew blood everytime he got a chance.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by