Our urban coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jessupfamily, May 23, 2007.

1. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Here is our "city" coop. (We also have a farm of free range chickens and goats!) The cage is our brooder cage and we were introducing the youngin's to the city flock. We have 24 backyard free range chickens living here.
    [​IMG]
    The run wasn't quite done, needs the wire, but we only use it if we're going to be away for a couple of days so we don't have to enlist chicken help for opening and closing the coop at night.
    The coop is made from shake shingles and plywood. The chicken door is hinged at the top and opens inward and holds itself up when you close the door. The chicken door to the run is in the floor and is a hole that has a piece of wood that slides over it and is weighed down with a concrete block when not in use. It has the same kind of ladder as the front chicken door. The front of the coop is 2 large doors that close to make the front.
    [​IMG] (These are 2 of my mamas sitting on 12 eggs each!)
    When you open the large left door the nesting boxes are built right there at the opening and you just reach into the boxes. There are 2 roost bars at the same height and 1 foot apart in the back of the coop. At the front there is chicken wire at the top triangle. (You can see this in the nest boxes picture. When it's cold we put a cut-to-size piece of plexiglass in place for protection.
    We've really liked this design for a small area (such as backyards in town), it has worked with no chicken problems and no predator problems for 9 months!

2. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Very nice looking [​IMG] Well done.

3. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    And I forgot to say this:
    Cost.....About $15 for the coop itself, of course chicken wire is a bit expensive and not included in the cost here.
    The shingles are seconds and the hardwood pieces are also seconds from a local lumber yard.
    Amy J.

4. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    That is a CUTE shingle coop!

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    How many chickens does your coop hold? I love the look of it.

[​IMG]

6. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    We have 24 hens and 1 rooster. It measures roughly 7 ft by 7 ft. I wouldn't use this size if they couldn't free range. They all have more than enough room to spread out, but they tend to squeeze close to roost, so we could actually cut the roost bars in half.
    Amy J.

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Amy could you take a pic of the front showing how your chicken door works. I can not picture it in my mind. We are planning on free range chickens also and your design works the best so far for what I need. I like the idea it is chest height means no bending over to clean it.

Thanks

8. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    No problem! I will take some extra pictures tomorrow.
    Amy J.

9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae New Egg

Jun 8, 2007
    Western PA
    I am interested in seeing the door pictures as well. I just can't visualize it right now.

Thanks,

Maggie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by