our veggie and herb container garden

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roachman, Aug 18, 2011.

1. roachman

roachman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    No chickens allowed lol.

We grow cucumbers, zucchini, asparagas beans, bell peppers, hot peppers (the 3rd hottest in the world, 1 million units) cherry tomatoes, regular tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes and sometimes corn. In our herb containers we have spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint and basil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] looking good! not sure where you're at but things seem to be holding up good during this heat. The only veggies I've been able to keep alive is assorted peppers, broccoli, and carrots. All the tomatoes got burnt up and we decided just to pull them.

3. roachman

roachman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Whitestone .Queens NY

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Nice little urban garden [​IMG]

One thing I'd seriously suggest/recommend is growing heirloom tomatoes too - Try a huge variety of different colors and types.

Are your beans growing separately from everything else? You know the best thing to do with them is grow them among your squash, peppers, and/or tomatoes. [​IMG]

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Ooh, I love gardening pictures! I'd love to share my photos but I don't want to steal your thread! =0)

6. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:that explains why yours looks like it's thriving and not crispy like mine. the peppers love the heat though, good thing I have a lot of them

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If I had to live that close to somebody else I think I would go postal. I know I would sufficate and just fall over dead. How do you do it? But you garden looks better that anything I can get to grow.

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I love your garden. Thanks for sharing. Our container garden got all burned up with 60 something days of temps well over 100. [​IMG]

9. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Nice garden! All I can seem to grow this year is jalapenos and tomatoes. Good idea with the planters!

10. veggietreeigrl

veggietreeigrl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Ugh, I know! I've lived my whole life in the suburbs. I hate it!! I'm at least in a sorta suburban sorta country spot right now. Houses are a bit more spread out. Someday I will have my house in the country... someday. :(

Anyway, great garden o.p.!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by