Our very first coop! Please offer feedback

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rockwoodfamilyflock, May 23, 2010.

1. rockwoodfamilyflock

rockwoodfamilyflock Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Please check out our new coop-- an anniversary gift from my husband. Our 6 week old chicks seem right at home. It really was fun to watch them checkin' it all out. We still need to decide on how/where to put the nesting boxes. We have just four chicks so I may only do one, maybe two. Any advice? I hope this adequately protects them from predators with the hardware cloth apron that goes along the ground and up 3ft around the perimeter.

Note: since these photos were taken, we've added little 1 x 2 strips of wood up the ramp, as our girls were slipping on the way down. I also learned from a BYC member, that hardware cloth also works well for traction, and requires less maintenance. Just fyi...
    Additionally, each side door has again, hardware cloth for ventilation. We kept each wood panel after cutting the hole for the side doors, and attach them with latches at night for now, because I was concerned about wind gusting through there. Not sure if there's any need for concern, but just going with my gut on that one.

Two questions...
    1) Is hardware cloth for the floor inside the coop that sits off the ground okay by itself? Does it also need litter or can I simply put litter in the nesting boxes once they are completed? We are in Central Texas so it is very warm, but it does freeze occasionally so I worry about what I'll do with all that open air coming through the wire floor! I've read about the use of linoleum on coop floors. Maybe I should throw that down to insulate when we actually get a cold snap. hmmm....
    2) I'm confused about nesting boxes. I understand they need to be about 12 x14 or so, but can they be as simple as woven baskets or a dish pan? How necessary is it to have a perch or something so they can look and see before choosing a nesting box?

This project was done with nothing more than a napkin sketch--a very general plan for attack with some changes along the way but we're pretty excited with the result! Still, I would so appreciate a look-see from the BYC community. This is my second attempt to upload, but crossing my fingers that you can see my photos this time. Such a newbie. LOL!!
    Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    [​IMG] very nice! congratulations. I like the design, looks easy to clean and collect eggs.

3. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    What a great coop! I love it! Way to maximize space. Beautiful work, I am jealous!! [​IMG]

The "ideal" nesting box isn't necessarily a requirement. I'm not sure they really need it to be all specific and private and all that. I find eggs on the floor of the coop in the corner! My neighbor uses a couple of old easter baskets held in place with bricks and that works for his hens. A box is pretty easy to build though.

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Looks very nice...what a great gift from your husband!

5. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    Thats even giving me some Ideas.

6. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Looks great!

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  7. hearthnsoul

hearthnsoul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Cape Cod
    it's a beauty [​IMG]

8. cajungal

cajungal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2007
    Love it!

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

very nice work!

10. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    looks awesome!!! Bet your glad its finished.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by