Our Very First Goose Egg Laid!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Our three Sebastopols are 11 months old now and we finally have one egg! Woo hoo!

[​IMG]

i'm pretty sure it isn't fertile. i've seen Maureen and Lee necking in the pond, but they don't seem to be doing much else. And for a while we thought that Maureen might be a Maury, since she is pretty big. But i guess this settles that question.

Unfortunately, she built a nest in the corner of the goat pen. If you know goats, that isn't a very good spot. So not sure what to do about that. But here she is, on her nest.

[​IMG]

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow... That looks like a much bigger egg than our bantams lay [​IMG]

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Congratulations on getting your first egg [​IMG]

Often the first few eggs from yearlings can be infertile and usually smaller. They usually soon increase in size and next year should be even bigger. Our African yearling started laying with an egg that weighed 135 grammes and her eggs have now increased to around 180 grammes. The first 2 were clear but the third was fertile.

After a few eggs it might be worth trying some to check for fertility.

Pete

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm thinking i will crack it open and look for that elusive "bull's eye" to see if it's fertile. It weighs 158 grams, so not too too small. But still a lot smaller than those eggs i have in the incubator.

5. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Congrats on your first egg! I think geese must like goats. The girl I got my geese from told me the geese liked her goat and she was happy to hear I had a goat. I did just have to move my goat because she was fighting with one of my ganders who was laying on a nest around her pen.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Our geese are always in the goat pen, and the goats never hurt them. But i do worry that when the goats are wrestling with each other or head-bunting, a goose may accidentally get hurt. So we make sure to lock the goat pen when we feed them, since that is when the worst of the goat-wrastling seems to happen. When they are all out in the yard, though, i often see them all grazing or sleeping close to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by