Our very FIRST incubator project DUE 2/27/09

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TC, Feb 18, 2009.

1. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    I am so excited, I was gonna wait to post this, but I can't. We got some eggs from onthespot, who shipped them to us for our homeschool project. What a lesson it has been! We started out with 18. With the infertile ones (only 3!) and sacrificed eggs to the school gods, We still had the majority of eggs to hatch. Then someone turned off the switch to the incubator and it fell to 73 degrees in one night! I could have died. We lost quite a few from that. They were a good lesson though because once we opened them we could see some embryo starting to form.

Tonight, on day 12 we candled and My little Turken cross egg is doing the boogie woogie!! Go little chicken! You can totally see the complete outline of his head, beak and feet! Crazy he looked like he was, oh, about 2 inches or so long maybe a bit longer. Does that sound right? He was so kyoot!! (lol)

I have it to take out hte egg turner on the 24th (day 18) when I put sponges in there, shoul they be new sponges?

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The sponges only need to be clean.

!0 mins in mild Chlorox should do it.

3. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Good for you guys. We are in the middle of our homeschool project as well. We are at day 21 and have one chick, and 6 more pipping as I type![​IMG] I'll be keeping an eye on your post. Keep us updated and let's see some pictures [​IMG] Good Luck!

4. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    Great!! I love homeschooling, they have learned so much more than they could in public school!! Only one more week from here, I am so excited.. Thanks to onthspot for the eggs. There is one Turken cross in there that I SOO hope comes out nekkid:fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by