1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Our very first pip!!! Hershey's gonna be a momma!! 2nd egg pipped!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WriterofWords, Jan 28, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I just got home from school, one of Hershey's eggs has a pip!!!! I wasn't expecting anything until Friday though so I've been turning the eggs still, do you think it will be ok?
    Kate

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Songster

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    If it has pipped it is still OK for now, but stop turning.

Take pics so we can see!

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Now I'm worried about the other eggs in there, I took two from her nest on 1/3 and one on 1/9, this one isn't dated but it was between those two. I just candled last night and this one showed movement but so did two others, one didn't. Should I stop turning all of them now? I was going to move them into the other bator on Wed. to hatch.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Well I do know its' still alive at least, it moved again finally but has made no more progress than the bump and crack it had when I found it at about 4:45.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Try to be patient. Sometimes they pip long before they zip and hatch. [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I sure hope that is the case, I'm at work, the egg is at home, and nothing else has happened! The egg moves every now and then, rocks a bit, and now I'm watching the other three!
    Oh and found out this morning one of our school custodians has pheasants and asked us if we might like to hatch some!!

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ok, got home today and the first one hasn't done much but it's still moving around BUT!!! One of the other eggs pipped today, a little larger than the first one, and I picked it out of her nest on the 9th, about 5 days after I snagged the first. The other egg I got on the 9th is rocking a bit but no pip. The 4th egg I stole on the 3rd and I think it might have died since the last time I candled it I saw no movement. Of course that was Sunday night when I did the others,,, that are now moving and pipping!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: