Our Very FIrst Sign Of Life !!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigmike&nan, May 4, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

We lost our rooster Anthony on Good Friday. The day BEFORE he passed his mate Strawberry Alice went broody - they had mated a number of times the week before Anthony took ill.

Well we couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. She'd laid an egg on Wednesday the 8th, we took that one out (not knowing what was gonna happen). Thursday morning we realized she had gone upstairs to lay and went broody then, we rushed the Wednesday egg back under her. And then we GUESS on Good Friday she laid the 3rd and last egg... It got very hot here last week and then cooled off some.

We never candled them, we figured she knew what she was doing and would remove any eggs that had gone bad. And with last week's heat there was NO SMELL. Then Saturday we literally picked her up and looked at the eggs (without touching them). Other than that we let her handle them... We sure were getting nervous and impatient.

Well, this morning she came downstairs for a stretch, there was all this plant growth in the run because she sat on those eggs almost non-stop the whole 3 weeks plus. We were really giving up on the chances of a hatch so we ran out and looked in the nest and sure enough we have our first pipped shell. We closed things up and then watched her walk in the run for a minute. Then she craned her head like she'd heard something and went right back up to the nest...

May 5th two years ago I proposed to my wife so having babies out and about on Cinco de Mayo would be so romantic....

Keep your fingers crossed for us...

Michael

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    That's great. Hoping for many pips for you today!

3. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Great story, best of luck. Here's wishing for your 5/5 chicks!
    [​IMG]

4. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I got the above photo a little while after I posted this. Keep on hoping for us, it would be SSOOOOO GREAT !!

Michael

5. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Keep us Posted!!!

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    And maybe while we're waiting we should have something to eat?!!?! [​IMG]

7. sparkles2307