Our WAS-A-SHED- Chicken coop-what ya think?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RUMBLON, Nov 9, 2011.

1. RUMBLON

RUMBLON Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    chicken coop
    approx 14x20
    used to be a storage shed for windows, 9stil one in there) among other items.

Hi am new but thought since many of you like to see coops, I would show my shed recently turned chicken coop. Its approx 14x20 and one side is open air via wire. I have many plans for the coop but thought I would also show and maybe get some suggestions.

Our chickens have always been my wife's gig and free range. They would roost where ever at night and she would get few eggs as it was labor intensive and every day was Easter and trying to find the new location where the eggs could be located.

So I decided that I would change that and they now have this make shift coop. We have approx 25 chickens, at least three of them are roosters. I say at least because we have 13 younger ones that were born here by hens and raised here.

The left side of the coop sits along side the barn. We used to have 45 Nigerian goats, now 3 left and one pigmy. so we have plenty of room. I added a pop door but have them trapped inside for a few days to get them used to the new location as winter is here and we are in snow country.

The chickens will still free range during the day and have outside access until they return to the coop (hopefully when trained) and go night night, then the door will lock them inside.

My plans are to

#1: ADD AN AUTOMATIC DOOR TO OPEN AND CLOSE and let them out.
    #2: add feeders and a water system/ automated.
    #3: going to make nesting boxes that I can enter from the barn side and mount on the left side wall. that way I can grab eggs without entering the coop.
    #4: I am enclosing the wire side and adding a window or two I have laying around for summer ventilation and make it big enough for easy removal for cleaning.
    #5: will remove the large slider glass door that currently their self claimed roost and add roosting areas.
    #6: and I have to dress it up a bit as I see many nice coops here and this needs some help. And I mean some chicken art, details, or what ever. My wife is an painting artist so I imagine sooner or later, thats happening to osme of the exterior.

any other issue you see or advise?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Rumblon, Great building to work with. sounds like ya got some good ideas. I see ya have power out there, so door motor with timer for your aluminum diamond plate door won't be issue. Just lots to consider. Like the exterior nest box idea...just seems easier to me. both my coops have them, as well as auto doors and nipple watering system. I don't want to be tied to my chickens. We love them, but still need things automated for when we are gone for a few days. I have incorporated alot of the the ideas you have for yours into the builds of my two coops. Check out my page if ya like for ideas. My main coop page and second page, called Bantam Bungalow.....they may help. Good luck. Erik

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very neat! And obviously, judging by the eggs in the nests, the chickens like it!

4. RUMBLON

Nov 6, 2011
    Quote:Hey Tigerlilly--- those are moslty golf balls. bUT THYE ARE LEARNING FAST.

RUMBLON

5. RUMBLON

Nov 6, 2011
    Quote:Erik, your coop is great. I plan on doing something similar with the barn side and the nesting boxes. I may even get the sprayer ut this spring and paint the inside white and make it a bit nicer. But I am doing an automated water and feed system of some sort. I see many on the web. What are the nippe systems your talking about? Are they those red push in nipples and if so, how do they work? do the birds push them in or how are they trained for that?

RUMBLON

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Rumblon,
    Yes, they are fairly cheap. Can adapt to a bucket, pvc pipe, etc... Water pressure not required. Just static water. The chickens peck at the stainless steel "needle" that sits in a seat and drops of water come out. I had to show a few of mine how they work.....I mean not literally peck at them myself, but keep tapping them to show them the drops of water coming out. They all took to them in a day or so. I was fortunate enough to get mine from a friend in Arkansas that at one time raised over a million and a half chickens for Ty**on. He gave me 50' of piping, nipples and regulator since I have mine hooked up to pressurized water from my well. But, they only need a a few pounds of pressure to work. Farm Tek sells a complete system for use with pressurized water for about $100.00. There are other options availabe for automatic waterers as well. Cups, founts with auto fill valves, troughs with fill valves, etc... I like the nipples for convenience.
    Erik

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    It looks like plenty of space.

Sigh. I love that mountain view. [​IMG]

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    chicken coop approx 14x20 used to be a storage shed for windows, 9stil one in there) among other items.

Perfect!! I would say there is not a member that would not love a inside coop this size!! [​IMG] not a soul wouldnt want more room!

Hi am new but thought since many of you like to see coops, I would show my shed recently turned chicken coop. Its approx 14x20 and one side is open air via wire. I have many plans for the coop but thought I would also show and maybe get some suggestions.

I love the completely open side but hope it's not exposed to the North or West side to not have the harsh weather hitting the coop there.[​IMG]

Our chickens have always been my wife's gig and free range. They would roost where ever at night and she would get few eggs as it was labor intensive and every day was Easter and trying to find the new location where the eggs could be located.

Put an outside nesting boxes and collect your eggs all in 1 place. [​IMG]

So I decided that I would change that and they now have this make shift coop. We have approx 25 chickens, at least three of them are roosters. I say at least because we have 13 younger ones that were born here by hens and raised here.

You will be surprised how few nesting boxes you will need for the 25 hens. If they are chick mates the do everything together including same nests. If you have 4 groups all you will need about 6 oversize nesting boxes. 2 for each group or so. They will all cram in together. [​IMG] No I am not!!

The left side of the coop sits along side the barn. We used to have 45 Nigerian goats, now 3 left and one pigmy. so we have plenty of room. I added a pop door but have them trapped inside for a few days to get them used to the new location as winter is here and we are in snow country.

Perfect again!! but you need some roosting bars about 3 that are 5' wide staggered like stairs with a poop board under it.

The chickens will still free range during the day and have outside access until they return to the coop (hopefully when trained) and go night night, then the door will lock them inside.

[​IMG]

My plans are to

#1: ADD AN AUTOMATIC DOOR TO OPEN AND CLOSE and let them out.
    #2: add feeders and a water system/ automated.
    #3: going to make nesting boxes that I can enter from the barn side and mount on the left side wall. that way I can grab eggs without entering the coop.
    #4: I am enclosing the wire side and adding a window or two I have laying around for summer ventilation and make it big enough for easy removal for cleaning.
    #5: will remove the large slider glass door that currently their self claimed roost and add roosting areas.
    #6: and I have to dress it up a bit as I see many nice coops here and this needs some help. And I mean some chicken art, details, or what ever. My wife is an painting artist so I imagine sooner or later, that's happening to some of the exterior.

any other issue you see or advise?

9. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Very nice building. Don't worry about being too fancy, the chickens don't know the difference [​IMG]

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by