1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our weather forecast and putting the chicks out...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EggsForIHOP, Oct 25, 2011.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Well, I WAS hoping that the warmer weather would hold and I could start putting the broiler chicks out this weekend at least during the day (at about a week and a half old)...today the high is close to 90!

But it's looking like it's going to be iffy and much cooler this weekend - in the low 70's and even what I would call cold at night in the 40's - would ya'll let them run the tractor during the day time? Or just be patient and give them until 2 weeks?

I'm still gonna bring them in at night, because I'm too darn lazy to try finding and then running the extension cord for the heat lamp - just during the day time would it maybe be okay? I'm leaning towards a "probably yes"...but not sure...if I had been home today instead of running errands I would have had them in the sunshine for a bit already (90 degrees in October - this is nuts!)....seeing as how the brand new thermometer in their brooder said it was 86 degrees when I got home with the heat lamp off AND the ac off in the house and the little critters was PANTING I figure they'd be fine outside at least around 80...but is 70 for week old birds going to be pushing it?

ETA: it's supposed to be 87 tomorrow - they will go out tomorrow - but Thursday it MAY rain (not holding my breath on it) and after that it's supposed to cool down according to weather bug)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Mine have been out since they were 2 weeks old. They did have a heat lamp until about 4 weeks but not anymore. I may have to put the lamp back out this weekend. Suppose to get in the 30s at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by