Our week-old Buff Rock X Black Star chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by golly_dolly, Jul 16, 2011.

1. golly_dolly

golly_dolly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    This is the chick that I posted about last week that our mother hen hatched out. This is our first time allowing a hen to hatch her own eggs, and of the small clutch that she sit on this is the only one that hatched, but I think she has been a great first-time mommy. She's very attentive. lol Today we let them out in a little dog kennel to get some fresh air while we cleaned out the coop and took some pictures.

I'm very curious of what the final color of the chick is going to be.... we're already getting a peek at the first feathers that have grow in on the chick's wings and it looks like she will be barred. Or at least I believe it's a she, since there's no white spot on the head.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Buhbuhz24

Buhbuhz24 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Aww, she's gorgeous!
    Congratulations on the beautiful chick and congrats to the first time momma!
    You should update us through the weeks so we can see her coloration as time goes by! [​IMG]

3. golly_dolly

Jul 6, 2011
    I will be sure to do that! [​IMG]

4. vintage00gypsy

vintage00gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Itasca County Minnesota
    awwww cuuuute!

5. golly_dolly

Jul 6, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Some new and updated pictures of our "little" chick who was 3 weeks old yesterday. I still want to say that it is a hen, because the mother is a sex-link, but if it is a hen she is very active and outgoing, probably more than any chick I have ever seen. lol As you can see in the second picture, she is developing her own little quirks.... she thought that the label on the feeder was so interesting and kept jumping up in the air to peck at it. I had a great laugh, just wish I really would have caught an action shot. [​IMG] As for color goes.... well I was wrong about the bars so far. lol

6. golly_dolly

Jul 6, 2011
    I am thinking that the chick is going to be a dark chocolatey brown, with light tips on the feathers. Maybe. lol I am not entirely sure. She is about to start hitting that awkward stage between feather and fluff. She is just beginning to get the start of tail feathers.

7. golly_dolly

Jul 6, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5 weeks old tomorrow

We are officially into the awkward stage right now, if you can't tell. And now I am seriously questioning whether or not this chick is actually female, just by judging looks so far. I guess time will tell. But either way, look at those feathers! [​IMG]

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I believe you have an adorable little boy there... [​IMG]

What a cute chick!

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea, he's got some sturdy legs on him for sure.

10. golly_dolly

Jul 6, 2011
    haha I was wondering, but the older he got, the more and more I started to notice little details that pointed to the fact that he was a boy. I just really got my hopes up for a girl. lol I still love him though, he is quickly becoming my little pet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by