Our Well Mannered Roo pecked our kid!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lelilamom, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    We've been teaching our 7 yr old son to gather eggs, feed the flock and generally become more involved. The girls love him, eat from his hand and he shows no fear. We need him to help us as I am pregnant and can no longer bend over to water, feed and gather eggs.

So far so good. Until tonight. He went into the coop and gathered eggs. But our broody Buff started squawking and two of her babies started making a racket. Our RIR Roo came running in, pecked our son once on the head, beat him with his wings and when I shouted "NO PrettyBoy!" he ran out of the coop again. My son turned to look at me, his face covered in poo and I started to laugh. He started to cry. I feel bad that I laughed at him, but his face smeared in poo was too much. Once I explained my laughter, he started to laugh too.

Do I reprimand our PrettyBoy for protecting the girls? Up until now, he has never attacked any of us, or shown aggression of any kind. He is an excellent Roo, always getting the girls in and out of the coop, protecting them from predators and protecting the little ones. We have 21 girls and he is our only Roo.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Roo's only doing his job. I'd strongly suggest, if you're going to allow a seven year old to continue to collect eggs (and there is always a chance one of the hens might panic and squawk) have him wear plastic safety glasses, a long sleeved shirt/jacket and understand (as I'm sure he does now) that the roo might go on the defense. If the roo starts stalking and flogging with no provocation then other options should be considered.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think you should reprimand him. He's only protecting the hens and doing his job. He probably thought that the squawking hen was being harmed, and came to protect her.

4. Dreyadin

Dreyadin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    He's a RIR roo... they are known to be more aggressive- and they can do a lot of damage, especially to a kid. To be blunt.. your son is short enough that his eyes are an easy target... and depending on his spurs he could cause a heck of a gash (I'm talking needing stitches kinda gash.)

I don't know how old the roo is.. but if he goes after your son again.. either get another roo or have your husband get the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by