Our winterized run! Pic

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nicole01, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Dh just finished the run! He put a corrugated steel roof and siding(for summer shade). We finished it off with plastic, so no snow can get through. It's also 100% protected from the bitter wind! We originally were not going to winterize the run since we built our coop much bigger then we needed to. However, I can't imagine them getting along well without this added space! I'm so thrilled hubby did such a great job.

Bring on the snow!!!

[​IMG]

2. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    That looks very nice! A room with a view. Also lets in the light...

[​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We had to put a light inside the coop since it's built inside the garage. The plastic doesn't block any light at all and we are hoping it will heat up the coop during the day or keep it warmer. We do have a very nice heater if we need it for the coop to keep the water thawed. The girls love it! It's raining out and they are in the run taking a dirt bath. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  4. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Nice job. I just put our plastic up over the run last week and just in time...snow storm last night.

5. madabouthens

madabouthens Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    thats class looking :)

6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    And that looks NICE! You've given me a good idea.

7. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thanks everyone!

Who'd ever think that the coop and run would cost so much?[​IMG] We certainly were not expecting it, but it's well worth everything!

8. Monk

Monk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Ventilation is very important. I would open it up a bit, one end or top halves of both ends. Check on threads addressing ventilation for more information.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Nice! [​IMG]

10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's going to really pay off once winter gets going in ernest. Just not having to shovel the snow out of the pen is its own reward.

The first few years, I put plastic sheeting up similar to what you've done. But as one comment already pointed out, you're kind of restricted as far as ventilation should you get some unseasonably warm weather.

As the plastic sheeting requires replacement, I've built three and four foot wide light-weight wood frames and stretched the new plastic over them and secured it with heavy-duty staples. I mount them on the pen with wire. This way I can easily take down a few panels should we get very warm weather in between the usual blizzards. Then they go back up just as easily when the weather reverts to nasty again. Just something for you to think about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by