Our World Animal Day celebration! (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Dudu, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    This past Sunday, 7th October, Malta's SPCA hosted a GRAND event in a National Park here on our tiny island - they invited loads of NGO's who take part in animal life one way or another - a conservation society, a horse rescue association, a falconry, etc etc etc, and my task was to volunteer in the preparations of the Chicken Corner and the Rabbit Retreat, powered by Malta Fancy Poultry and Pigeon Club and Malta Rabbit Club respectively.

[​IMG]

Our tent
    [​IMG]

To open the event, a mass was held with a subsequent blessing of the animals
    [​IMG]

Among other birds (pure breeds and not) we brought two ex-battery hens - the posters explain what a battery hen is, ask to give them a hug cos they've been making your omelette all their lives, as well as feature a beautiful story borrowed from this board with the permission of Help_battery_hens (thank you so much!!).
    [​IMG]

2. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Our young rooster Albert saw my poster and couldn't believe his eyes, LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The writing says "We are friends, not toys"
    [​IMG]

It wouldn't be complete without St Francis himself!
    [​IMG]

Our tent was visited by this young lady with her peacock called Lee! He sure is the tamest peacock I ever saw, and he and his mates sleep on her bedside (tails out so the droppings fall on the newspapers!) - I was sure glad to see I'm not the only crazy person in this country, LOL
    [​IMG]

3. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    This is our Giant breed bunny (5 months) - a girl at this show named her Softie, LOL, so I guess Softie it is!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just one pic from the charity dog show - these are winners of the "Best Mixed Family" class!
    [​IMG]

My Greta was truly enjoying the loving attention :)
    [​IMG]

Our darling Henny Pennies
    [​IMG]
    The cutest question someone asked about them - a little boy asked "When is their birthday?" I was flabbergasted and told him about 6 years ago.

4. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    A lady from the UK had tears in her eyes after reading about the battery hens (even though we didn't really post any horror stories - this very realistic one but with a happy ending) and said now she knows what eggs to buy. I had tears in my eyes also because of her reaction, but I managed to contain myself.
    [​IMG]

Greta
    [​IMG]

A gorgeous Brahma brought by our Club secretary
    [​IMG]

Modern (?) English game (pls correct me)
    [​IMG]

Albert and his new found friend :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How beautiful! [​IMG] What a wonderful thing to have. I too, love St. Francis, he's my favorite saint. I love the pic of your rooster looking up at the poster! [​IMG] Thank you so very much for sharing with us all. [​IMG] Keep on loving those animals.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    What a cool celebration. Greta looks very friendly and Albert looks like a real character.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Awesome!

8. Dudu

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Thank you for viewing, for me participation in this event was a dream come true, as we had so many opportunities to talk to people, interact with the children, help them even overcome certain fear of touching a chicken (believe it or not, some were afraid!), and most kids were in absolute AWE of them and the parents couldn't get them to leave the Chicken Corner, LOL.

Next time though I need to bring more birds to pet because even our most outgoing ones were quite a bit pooped out at the end of them day, but they have rested since and are now bugging us for attention again, which they get!

9. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    wow! i have tears in my eyes after reading this. what an amazing job you did and i am so glad to contribute :) x

10. Your soooooooooooooooo Lucky! I saw the Prettiest Chicken's in The Pic's! You are so lucky![​IMG][​IMG] I bet it was loud!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by