Our young rooster will stamp and then lay down

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
Why??

We just got rid of 3 roos, still have 2 (maybe 3) but the one roo will stamp his feet and then lay down when you approach the run. Then when you get to the door he will get up to greet you. But he will still stamp his feet sometimes. At first I thought he was scratching at the ground, but he isn't.

Is it b/c he is the dominant roo now? I mean when we had 2 of the other roos, they would attack this one everytime he crowed or tried to crow. The other roo in the run keeps his distance most of the time, so they seem to get along, but they are still young, only 12 weeks old (13 weeks Monday).

Sounds like he is still maturing, trying to figure out his role as a rooster. Stamping feet and wing flapping can be a sign of nervousness, uncertainty.

Okay, I thought it might be something like that, but wasn't sure. He has been treated so bad by the other 2 roos, I thought maybe he was just trying to figure things out.

The first day or two after we gave away the other roos, he would look around like he was waiting for them to come after him when he would crow. He started the stamping and lying down bit about 3 or 4 days ago (the other boys have been gone nearly a week).

Back
Top Bottom