Out for some Sun

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeautyBuffs, Mar 5, 2012.

1. BeautyBuffs

BeautyBuffs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Saturday was nice and sunny with a very mild breeze. I figured it would be a great day to move my little flock outside for their first good dose of sun and the great out doors. I loaded them into a very large dog crate to transport them outside, moved their nursery outside and carried their carrier out. I climbed inside the nursery cage and slid the dog crate to the door and started picking them up one by one and setting them in the grass in the sun. This is what they did to me, I started freaking out thinking I had hurt them by moving them.
    [​IMG]
    They just all fell right over on their sides and layed there!!!! I would pick one up and it would stand for a moment then fluff itself and lay right back down. I told my husband to call the vet, I was bringing them in, I think I damaged my chickens. My husband laughed at me so hard I thought he was going to wet himself. He told me they are just sunning themself inbetween fits of laughter. I was so relieved that I did not damage them that I almost forgave his laughter (almost being the key word). My question is - Is that normal? It was like kriptonite on superman. One minute active and chirpy and then Pow, down for the count.

2. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aaaww Cute! I've been wanting to take my 3 out but where I live we've been having major winds even though it's been hot. I'm afraid they'll get tossed around being only a couple days short of 2 weeks.

3. cloaking-chickens

cloaking-chickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    I hope it's normal, since the same thing happened to me this weekend.

4. BeautyBuffs

Mar 5, 2012
    LOL glad to know it is. It has been over 20 years since I have had chickens, I rarely remember their behavior and I can honestly say that as a teenager I really did not care to go in the hen house and hang out with the chickens. I somewhat remember going in feeding/watering and escaping as quick as I could. I was more into the raising of the cows and pigs at that time.

5. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Is a sight to see for sure.
    A pic of my little guy the first time the babies were outside. They sure have an odd way of sunning themselves!

[​IMG]

6. BeautyBuffs

Mar 5, 2012
    They are adorable! They sure have plenty of feathers to be so young looking. A couple of mine look patchwork still while others have fethered out almost completely.

7. primalchick

primalchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Too cute!! I had no idea they'd do that in the sun :)

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Did they fall asleep or just lay there?

Warm sun makes people sleepy also, I think.

9. BeautyBuffs

Mar 5, 2012
    Some dozed and others layed there with an eye open while I stood over them. When I was sure none were dead I climbed out of the pen and before to much longer a few were up moving around to the door wanting out to explore more while others just layed there longer than the rest. I was afraid the move from inside to outside had sent them into shock or something. They all seem fine now and are as active as ever. Fiesty seems a little more bossy than before, maybe he/she just needed a good dose of sunshine to boost them back up to full bossy speed.

10. BeautyBuffs

Mar 5, 2012
    Me either PrimalChick, that is why I was freaking out and ready to load them in the car and head to the vet and beg him to save my little critters like he did my pup from Parvo. I keep my vet on speed dial ( lol) I think sometimes I go overkill on the vet visits for small things. But with no kids at home to coddle now days, its the critters turn to be pampered and puffed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by