Out of 25 hens, 4 are roosters... MPC variety pack

JackieinYorktown

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
These birds were delivered the week of June 1st... Now I will have to cull, one if not more... The EE is quiet, the andalusian is erlentlessly going after my year old hen, the speckled sussex is HUGE and the jury is out on the austrolop,
The analusian does not look very meaty, but is the worst, crowing constantly.
Oh and when of the hens died on route, so I actually have 20 out of 25 that are laying hens.

Please don't kill them, try to find homes for them first. Give them an honest chance. List on craigs list or here on this forum. There are people out there willing to take roosters. (not to sound mean)
tongue.png

Not to sound mean, myself, but there isn't anything wrong with culling extra roosters or non-laying hens for eating. I know not everyone wants to do that, but it's certainly a vialbe option.

And the not-too meaty looking one- he might make a good fryer. You don't want a huge bird for that.

I was very happy with my order of chicks from MPC. I believe MPC has a policy regarding sexing errors - they allow for 10% error (same as other hatcheries) and for errors over 10%, they'll offer you a small refund AND offer you free chicks on your next order with them . You should give them a call.

I got the 25 cash for cluckers pullet deal. Mine hatched 6/14 I also got 26 so far none are roos. I did have a rough start and I lost 6 so I have 20 survivors. They are a hoot. Today they got out of the chicken run and Free ranged - (not intentionally on my part - I didn't close the gate) but so far they have stayed near and I know at some point they will come back for water and food.

MPC also credited me the ones I lost and I would call them about the roos - They have a good customer service policy
by the way
What varieties did you get?
I think I have:

1 white leghorn
2 white rocks
1 jersey giant
1 black kind of looks like the jersey giant but has no tail
2 australopes They look like the other two but are much smaller
2 welsummers
2 rir
2 comet
2 speckled sussex
1 barred rock
2 hampshire reds They are not quite as red as the RIR but have black feathers in their tails they might be sex links
2 buff orps

Caroline

I also got mine the first week of June from MPC the variety pack. One was DOA, one died within a few days and the other had deformity and ended up dieing also. I have the remaining 22 and from the best that I can tell, all are pullets. No crowing from any of them yet. I got brown & white leghorns, Naked Necks, Andalusions & EE's in the pack. I am hoping but so far so good with all of them being pullets so far!!!

MPC was very pleasant. I had one die very shortly after arrival, and one (I thought) wasn't what I ordered (an EE), as it turns out she was (oops). I called about the 2 chickens I had issues with and they credited my money back for both. I now have a roo, their error. I am not going to call them since my EE that I thought wasn't an EE is really an EE and they gave me my money back, but I remember seeing on their website they would give you some sort of credit towards your next order.

Back
Top Bottom