1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Out of chick food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by theguywithchickens, Sep 1, 2008.

1. theguywithchickens

theguywithchickens New Egg

Sep 1, 2008
    pretty much im out of food for my chicks...more is on its way but what should i give them in the meantime? Cornmeal? Oatmeal? Crushed Cheerios? Chicks are 2 weeks old.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Hard boiled eggs and oatmeal will work while you wait for more food.

Jody

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    here is what I found...

http://www.lionsgrip.com/babychix.html

. Food
    If you don't have chick starter feed yet, you can feed them for a day or two on instant oatmeal, flaked infant cereal, or other whole-grain cereals. You can put whole grains (rice, wheat, barley, old-fashioned oats, anything) into the blender and blend them slightly. Do not blend completely to a powder --- the feed should have some "grits" in it. Leave the feed with them all the time --- they will stop eating when they have had enough.

4. theguywithchickens

theguywithchickens New Egg

Sep 1, 2008
    thanks a lot for the help

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Where do you live? I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere, but we do have feed stores here. Too many of them!

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    No kidding, you must live in "no man's land" I guess I feel pretty lucky I can just run out and buy chick food. [​IMG]

7. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Pretty scary that the chicks are only 2 weeks old and you are already out of feed.... what are they, Cornish Cross??

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't feed them only grain for more than a day, when they're so young and growing so fast. The suggestion to also give then some chopped, hard-boiled egg with oatmeal would give them a much more balanced diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by