Out of chick starter, feed store closed for the holiday.... Now what?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MedChicken, Dec 25, 2011.

1. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Hi all! I just ran out of chick starter feed (I know, I know, I'm an idiot!), and of course the feed store is closed for Christmas. What should I be giving my babies until I can get more feed in two days? This morning they got finely chopped hard-boiled eggs (sucked down in minutes) and ground-up dry oatmeal mixed with washed sand for grit.

They are about a month old (born 11/29).

I have layer pellets - last night I gave them a few of these mixed with warm water to make a paste, and they disappeared right away, but I've heard that layer's feed isn't good for babies.

What else can I feed them to maintain a balanced diet until the feed store opens again? I have most of the usual stuff around the house - oatmeal, flour, sugar, rice, bread, veggies, cheese, milk, cream, cheerios, potatoes, etc.

Thanks for the help!!

2. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    Quote:Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. Layer feed isn't good for them as their sole source of feed because it has too much calcium and too little protein. The eggs you are giving them is upping the protein level. They should be fine getting the extra calcium for a couple of days, I would just avoid giving them any dairy. They should be fine for two more days with eggs, oats, and layer feed.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Medchicken,

No worries you have the layer feed and the key difference between the medicated chick feed is the medicine booster for chick growth and we keep feeding our girls food up to 20 weeks but the layer feed has more calcium in it to support healthy egg shells and to replace the calcium for the hens laying that they are using up in egg production. You did good by using it in a pinch. Soak it up once again and lay it down for them until Monday or Tuesday. You can put lots of stuff down like spaghetti, rice, oatmeal, melon, fruits (no citrus) and other proteins. How about dairies like cottage cheeses and plain yogurts and such. Take a chill pill and just relax and enjoy this day of giving and family. Go love them and that goes a long way right?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Thanks so much for the advice! I'm glad to hear that I can give them a bit of layer feed for a few more days. What a wonderful and supportive community!

5. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    bread

6. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Well, they've totally gorged themselves on the oatmeal and egg. I picked one of them up and almost panicked when I saw what looked like a HUGE abscess. As it turned out, it was just a HUGE crop packed super full of food! In fact, they are even getting visibly bigger all over just since yesterday! Thanks again to everyone for the tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by