OUT OF CHICK STARTER!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazzzymike13, Feb 26, 2009.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I just ran out of chick starter feed. The feed store that I buy feed from said that they are out. The only feed they had, that was small is milo. Can I feed them milo?? Is there a way I can crush it to make it smaller?? It falls right out of my grinder. Any advice??

Mike

2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Hi Mike -

Where are you located? My chicks are about to outgrow their chick starter and I have a bunch leftover, but I guess there's not much of a chance that you are close to me. I am near Portland, OR.

I don't have any info on what else you might feed them until you can get more starter...

~Lisa

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

How long are they going to be out of chick starter? Are they getting a new shipment tomorrow? My Walmart also carries chick starter, a different brand than what I buy, but it would do in a pinch. You can feed them hard-boiled eggs or other "treat" foods temporarily so they don't get toooo hungry, but that's obviously a very short term solution. I don't know anything about milo....

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Crumbles would be a temporary substitute!

5. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I live in Wellington Texas. I was just thinking that maybe I could soak some dog food and feed that to them. I'm going to be out until Saturday. You think maybe soaked or can dog food would be ok??

Mike

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I have read that cat food is better than dog food for chickens because cat food contains a good amount of animal protein while dog food does not. I don't really know myself about it, but that's what it says in "storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" - that you can add cat kibble to chick food as an extra protein source... and I know cooked oatmeal can be OK for them - maybe oatmeal and a little cat food? I'm guessing here...

7. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    in a pinch i have fed dry dog food soaked in warm water for a while to soften it. and they ate it right up. my chicks were about 12 weeks old. i also fed them apples, carrots, oatmeal with their starter, from about 3 weeks on. i don't know if age has anything to do with tolerating different food, but they seem by nature to be pretty versatile with their diets. good luck.

8. Timbercrete

Timbercrete Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Moorpark, CA
    scrambled or mashed hard boiled eggs.

9. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Could put a couple of cups of cat(dry) food into your blender...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by