Out of control: 5 broodies setting on SO many eggs!😆😳

mtma

Songster
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
We had 3 hens who were setting on eggs for a week or so, were gone for a week and came home to 5 broody mamas! They keep stealing each other's eggs so, the eggs are a total mix of ages. They are also all nested on the second story of boxes. We have 27 hens and 2 roosters who roost in that coop, and we also have an empty coop suited for 6-8 full sized chickens. Should we transfer the broodies and eggs to that coop? Will the eggs all hatch at random times, and some be abandoned? The eggs i marked before our trip are now mixed into various boxes and have been added to. II'm thinking just let nature take its course, but I have NO idea what to expect, and am happy to intervene if it would be helpful. Any wisdom?? Also, I'm a math major who's pretty good at chicken math as I have 19 eggs due to hatch this week in my incubator and 7 on order from a hatchery for next week! 😆 Thank you so much in advance for any wisdom or reassurance!
20210403_195032.jpg

Wow! I would only continue if you want to. Do you think your ready for that many chickens? Also you’ll probably have to get another coop. It all depends on what your comfortable with. Also moving hens with eggs at various stages could mess them up, I’ve done the same thing but the mamas wouldn’t take the eggs this time. Just make sure that the other hens aren’t laying on the same boxes as the broodys, or you will never have eggs stop hatching!!:lau

Just make sure that the other hens aren’t laying on the same boxes as the broodys, or you will never have eggs stop hatching!!:lau
That's what I am afraid is happening! I have no idea how to prevent that except put all the mamas in the smaller coop and separate run!🤷🏼‍♀️

Will the mamas quit setting once a few babies hatch?

Will the mamas quit setting once a few babies hatch?
Generally hens will leave the nest within 24 to 36 hours after the first chick hatches. They are genetically programmed to do so that the chicks can eat and drink. The hens who were the last to go broody MAY set longer. Once chicks start hatching, I would move the longest setting hen and them to another area where they can not be seen or heard. That may encourage the other hens to continue setting. Do you have an incubator? Reread and see that you do have an incubator. You may have to utilize it.

Thank you. Each mama has about 10-11 eggs, with the exception of the astrolorp on the left who ate one of hers, and is now patiently waiting for her ceramic eggs to hatch.😆 I marked everything laid to date, though there is a time gap of a week plus. Until we can move them over, I'll just collect everything that is unmarked, as the other layers only want to lay in the broodies' boxes. 🤦🏼‍♀️
20210404_083537.jpg

I marked everything laid to date, though there is a time gap of a week plus. Until we can move them over, I'll just collect everything that is unmarked, as the other layers only want to lay in the broodies' boxes.
Good.

Should I put all unhatched eggs on it after the moms move on? How does that work with the auto turner? I have a nurture right 360
I'm not familiar with that incubator, it looks like you can't remove the turner. So set it up as you would for lockdown. If you can't remove the turner just turn it off. Raise the humidity like you would for lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom