Out of coop

Walkoff15

Hatching
May 24, 2016
Just a quick question. I'm new to all of this but my chickens don't see to come out of the coop much to enjoy the beautiful weather. Is this normal?

How old are they? Have you tried putting them outside and maybe giving them some feed.? If they are very young/new they just may be insecure. Chickens do not like changes, and it takes them awhile to accept them.

They are almost 10 weeks old. Now this evening they all came out about an hour before dark and I went to check on them after dark and they were all still out in the run. I turned the heat lamp on (just to get them inside) and they all went running inside the coop. How do I break this habit?? All this is new to me so all advice will be used. I think I need to put some more roosting area up.

I think when I turn the light on they think it's playtime inside the coop cause I went out to check them at 9:45 and there out there eating and chatting up a storm. And maybe that's why they're not coming out during the day cause there sleeping cause there partying all night with the light on

What breed are they? If they are like that try to take them out with gentle force. Are they eating good, drinking good and drinking clean water, and are they eating enough grit/dirt?

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm sure with time they will be out and about during the day, but as DD says, they are probably a little wary of the great outdoors at the moment. You could try luring them back into the coop with the light, but close the coop and turn off the light once they are inside.

All the best
CT

They are Rhode Island reds... I'm gonna redo there nesting area to see if that helps. I believe they are eating well. A 50lb bag of feed isn't lasting long

Back
Top Bottom