Out of curiosity, what is the longest time you've stores eggs prior to incubating & what was your ha

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rockashelle, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Rockashelle

Rockashelle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    I'm curious to know the longest you've held on to eggs prior to incubating? The reason I ask is, we are moving our farm and I know the girls will be all out of whack. I also plan on worming them just before the move so I'll need to toss eggs for two weeks.

I know they say after 10 days hatch rate drops incredibly and 7 days is the prime amount of time for excellent hatch rates. I'm going to go for it and collect all I can, date the eggs and see what happens as I won't be able to incubate any in the time frame I have left here.

This will be 16 days of eggs. I'm storing the at approximately 60 degrees with 60ish% humidity (I don't have a lot of choice in humidity... Washington weather). I'm also working through a freeze period outside as luck would have it. On the weekends, I'm like a broody hen waiting for the girls to finish laying and going in for the prize several times a day. My daughter is collecting them as soon as she gets off the school bus while I'm at work. I'm on a mission.... and working against all the odds!

Tell me your experience with longest collection period and how it turned out and might as well say why you had to wait too!

:D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I remember reading someone last year that had eggs for WEEKS and he dated them all and tracked responses on here. You might be able to find that thread on here.

3. Rockashelle

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA

Thanks! I'll search for it!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. Rockashelle

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    Thanks Sumi!

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I didnt store them, but... back hen i had muscovies the oldest eggs was almost 3 weeks old in the nest before she started sitting. Still had a 100% hatch rate and only lost 1 the same day and another 2 days later.

7. Rockashelle

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    Thanks Conny... I have muscovies too, and you're right they do lay forever prior to sitting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by