out of feed. had to go to pet store. please check these ingredients

backdoorchicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
newport news va
papaya?

all the other ingredients are fine after looking . but it contains papaya and i can't find any info anywhere about it being fed to chickens. is it a citrus?

i worked later than i had expected and for some crazy reason the feed store closed before 4:30pm. anyway my only option was a pet store(i live in a city). i asked the clerk if he had anything suited for chickens and he had no clue. so i looked at all the bags of feed and found what i thought would work best. it is called Higgins™ Mayan Harvest. Here are the ingredients

Mayan Harvest is Higgins' newest and most innovative seed brand yet. Inspired by the lost civilization that cherished and worshipped the natice birds of the South Amarica, Mayan Harvest bringgs together exotic, natural ingredients and holistic herbs. The results are premium seed, nut and fruits blended to be as unique as its name. Mayan harvest is free of artificial colors and preservatives. All the diets in the Mayan Harvest brand contain natural bee pollen.

Ingredients Shelled Almonds, Roasted Soybean, Whole Corn, Fried Green Peas, Hulled Oats, Safflower, Shelled Peanuts, Sunflower Seed, Flaked Carrot, Flaked Corn, Pumpkin Seed, Kafir, Dehydrated Papaya, Buckwheat, Coconut Chips, Cantaloupe, Cashew Pieces, Hot Chili Peppers, Raisins, Cracked Corn, Dehydrated Banana Chips, Pignolias, Hemp Seed, Dehydrated Cranberries, Juniper Berries, Beet Dices, Dehydrated Leeks, Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes, Chamomile Flowers, Basil, Bee Pollen, Sodium Bicarbonate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Cyanocoabalamin (source of vitamin B-12), Lysine HCL, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacinamide, d-Biotin, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (source of vitamin E), Copper Sulfate, Tannic Acid, Flavors, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Cobalt Sulfate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D3), Riboflavin, Thiamine Monoitrate, Lactobacillus Acidophillus Fermentation Product, Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Menadione Dimethyl Pyrimidinol Bisulphite (source of Vitamin K3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride. Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein ... Min. 13.0% Crude Fat ... Min. 14.0% Crude Fiber ... Max. 8.0% Moisture ... Max. 11.0%​

Last edited:
My silkies love the bird seeds we dump out after our bird finishes it!
Its safe!
smile.png

I feed birdseed instead of "chicken scratch" (for treats) and that there sounds like some seriously good bird seed!
I'm sure it won't kill 'em for a day until you get real food.

In a pinch I have fed cornmeal and oatmeal that I had in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom