Out Of Starter/grower Feed At 16 Weeks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Buff-Island-Australorp, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    My flock just turned 16 weeks old today. They are on their final 2-3 days of starter/grower.
    Do I absolutely need to buy another 25# bag of starter/grower, or can I get my 50# bag of layer, and not provide oyster shell until they mature a little more?
    I have not seen any eggs yet from them, although I think a couple are going to start any time now.

2. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    My chickens are about 20 weeks and I have had them on layer feed since they were integrated with the older ones. I can't remember what age but it has been a while probably 10 weeks old or less. You can mix what you have left over with some layer feed that will help with the transition. I think they will be just fine.

3. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:Thanks Melinda35....there won't be any mixing because I'm down to the crumbs on the starter/grower. I figured though, just switching the food probably won't hurt them, but providing oyster shell, (as a lot of people do) now free choice would. I would wait until the first egg is laid before providing the extra, extra calcium of oyster shell.

4. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    mine started on layer at 16 weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by