Out of the blue, panting, strange mucous.

LittlePip21

Songster
Feb 5, 2017
hello, I just went out to lock up the girls and I found one of my amercaunas laying on the roost, panting. She was trembling when I got her down, but it seems to have subsided, I'm noticing a brown mucous in her mouth, like she puked it up? She is walking around stiffly and panting, more like shock behavior than lethargic. Any ideas? I'll post when I get a bowl movement. She's also holding her wings away from her body slightly. I forced her to drink a little but no volentary hydration. Any advice?

Update, poop is normal, and she's stopped panting. Eating good. Now talking too, just a fluke? I'll keep her my hospital pen for tonight, and see how she is in the morning. false alarm hopefully!

Actually it's not over the roost, since it's near the ceiling, but it's pointed down from there. I'm thinking maybe it was just because it got warmer again recently and she was sitting directly above it. I'll see about having it hang down closer to the water. Thanks again!

Actually it's not over the roost, since it's near the ceiling, but it's pointed down from there. I'm thinking maybe it was just because it got warmer again recently and she was sitting directly above it. I'll see about having it hang down closer to the water. Thanks again!
Mine is not too low...Its about 4 feet off the ground and the water is up on bricks....In winter I use rubber livestock bowls for water...

Hmm. I am no expert but Respiratory infection? We got one. They sound bad, and get mucus, and then they sound normal, but if you get extra close, you can hear their labored breathing. Along with that ours we got pus filled eyes. If that happens, you know for sure.

Hmm. I am no expert but Respiratory infection? We got one. They sound bad, and get mucus, and then they sound normal, but if you get extra close, you can hear their labored breathing. Along with that ours we got pus filled eyes. If that happens, you know for sure.
Respiratory is brought out in times of stress and usually drastic temp changes ...All chickens carry disease and respiratory is common..

Back
Top Bottom