1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Out of the brooder & into the coop! Lotsa pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amarook, Apr 13, 2009.

1. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I was going to wait to move the RIRs out of the brooder till tomorrow. But Jeff busted his butt on getting it done today. He worked non-stop from 2:30-almost 10pm. After coming in for a while, eating something and watching a movie, I decided to do it tonight. Especially since I knew it would only take a couple minutes and then Jeff could get to see them chcek out their new home.

It's not done done btw. We just wanted to get it to the point where the RIRs could come out of the brooder as they ran out of room in there as soon as the BOs moved in. He is still going to frame in the back wall, then put up internal walls so that there is insulation for next winter. But those steps will all come little by little. He still has to build roosts for them, those will go up against the back wall. And eventually nest boxes will go along the right wall. Their door to the run will be on the left wall behind the brooder.

This is what we started with several weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

This is the brooder. It is 2 feet deep X 2 feet high X 3 feet wide.(As it was being constructed.)
    [​IMG]

Brooder in use by RIRs. 3/23
    [​IMG]

Then we had to split it in half for the BOs to move in last Monday. (The BOs were a little bit of an impulse buy at TSC.)
    4/5 look how much bigger the RIRs were already!

[​IMG]

Here is the new door to the coop with some of the chicken wire done on the front wall. He had the side walls all framed in by this point.
    [​IMG]
    Door shut. I think I'm going to paint the door, and make a wood burned sign to hang on it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All ready for chicks! I need to get another bag of shavings tomorrow.
    Room to spread our wings!

[​IMG]

Checking things out.
    [​IMG]

Hanging feeder & waterer. (I had a small spill.. oops.)
    [​IMG]

It's getting a little chilly tonight. I gave them a towel to snuggle in if they want, and I put their "brooder roost" under the heat lamp.
    [​IMG]

What do you think so far?[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    That's sweet. Nice work.

I see you have two heat lamps in the brooder...can the peeps escape the heat if they need to?

[​IMG]

3. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Yes. The heat lamp to the right is a much cooler one.

Now that the RIRs are out of the brooder I'll probably open it back up so the Orpingtons can have the whole thing. The lamp on the left is a 250 W heat lamp. They need that heat though, it gets cold out there. (and it was snowing here this past week.) I have a thermometer in there to keep an eye on the temp too.

What is wrong with us? Why are we up so early? lol

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm up cuz I can't sleep.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

5. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I can't sleep either. I'm recovering from a cold, and my sinuses are a wreck.
    When I do fall asleep I wake up an hour later cause my mouth feels like someone poured sand down my throat.

[​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    ah, the old sand down the throat trick heh. Get's me every time too.

7. Very NICE !! One thing you will most likely encounter with a Metal shed is the heat in the summer. Be prepared to use box fans to keep the temperature down.

I have a portable wood building and I HAVE to use two box fans in the windows. I have a pop door in the opposite wall from the fans and this is open in the day and closed at night.

Consider a lot of ventilation.

8. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Quote:

Oh! It's not metal. The original owner of this property worked at an airport. The shed is made out of Hanger material. It's plastic I think.
    We are also going to add a couple windows eventually too.
    It is always breezy here so I was thinking of maybe putting a window on each side. Ventilation and they would get the rising sun light, and setting sun light. [​IMG]

9. Bwaaak!

Bwaaak! Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    It... is... a very... beautiful henhouse!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by