Out of the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MonkeyZero, Jun 15, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    At what age can I let new chicks outside, to their forever home? They are at 2 and 3 months old, and feathered. Can they be out of the brooder now?

2. slahmswife

slahmswife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Princeton BC Canada
    They should be ok outside now, mine are 5 weeks and I just put them out in their new coop yesterday with a heat lamp. So far they are doing great, they are loving the freedom of the big coop and run.

3. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    Mine are only 3 weeks old and i'm wondering the same thing. i want them out of the basement but i'm afraid to put them out in the coop. afraid because i feel like they are still babies, and also because of the heat lamp. we would have to run and extension cord from our garage into the coop and i'm just nervous about electrical/fire in general. i feel like they should be able to be out there without a lamp soon (sometime before they are 6 weeks)...it is the summertime after all...any words of wisdom?

4. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Also is it ok to keep 2 starndard hens, with 1 banty?

5. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Well, I cant get a heat lamp out there. They are out right now. However the hen(the year old I have) is in a small kenel, as she pecked at them. She is outside. So at 2 and 3 months, fully feathered, coop all closed up(the door is open(which is about 2 ft tall)). YOu think they'll be alright. Its their first time out without a light. The low tonight will be 60F. Its alsop their first time outiside of the brooder.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If your chicks are 2 and 3 months old, they no longer need a heat lamp and will be fine in the coop without one. You shouldn't just put them out with older hens. They need to be seperated at first, but where they can see each other so they have time to get used to each other.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What are your nighttime temps? Remember, it's 90-95 the first week, decreasing by 5 degrees a week. At 3 weeks your chicks can handle 80 -85 degrees, maybe even a little lower. Just make sure your coop is draft-free and predator proof and you're all set.

8. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    It will get about 60F-65F With gusts up to 10mph. I have the coop covered. Its winds are NNW. The coop is facing south. I covered it,and have only the door of the coop open half way.

9. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I also put tin flooring(the kind that you put under your car). They also have a roost(well about 4).

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sindoora, your chicks are plenty old enough to be out in the coop and probably haven't needed extra heat for a couple of weeks now. Just check for drafts in the coop and I would definitely close the door at night to prevent predators from helping themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by