Out of the pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckDodgers, Nov 11, 2013.

1. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    I have Indian runners that I raised from 3 days old. They will follow me around if I let them out of their pen. I was wondering if I let them out while I'm not outside, how do I keep them from just leaving or going out of my yard which in not fenced in?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think you can, reliably. And for their safety, they need to be where something else cannot run up and attack them.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    This is a game of chance, i free range the bulk of my birds, it's a risk i won't lie and say i don't worry that said and done, my ducks were bought for pest control so if they cannot forage the farm they have no purpose here.

I keep a fence around where their barn is, this has all the feed, pools etc... i let them out and they come in/out throughout the day, by dusk they all return, we headcount and shut the gate. By real dark they are herded into the barn.

I keep mine all full flight, my Muscovy fly.. but i feel it's important for a survival. Not all areas are capable of free ranging, some are pred heavy. I did loose two drakes last year because the neighbours dog came across to my field. We're all rural here small farms, they chain him now.

All my birds teach younger birds how to do this, most of my birds are hatched here or bought as wee ones so that helps loads, i am way past having to teach the birds myself, thankfully.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. DuckDodgers

Nov 1, 2013
    If I where to try it, how would I teach them not to leave my yard?

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I suppose the best way IMO would be for you to get 2 long sticks to herd them with. And just stand there and keep the flock where you want it. But if you walk away, there is the possibility that they will leave your property, which I don't think is a good idea.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They will need to know how to herd i understand runners are quite good at it. All my birds know how, it's important for moving them out of the way, not only for getting them in at night but to move them when your driving for instance, mine often are on my driveway lol

As i said i keep a concentrated area for the birds that helps draw them back, but if you not fenced it's always a risk they will get lost or make their way to somewhere they shouldn't. Can you poke some temporary fencing up? to get them out further and then practice bringing them back in. They will need you as a guide, you essentially will be head duck to make this process possible. Natural fear helps too, ducklings i have had raised here without a mama stay in the fenced area for quite awhile simply because of that alone, only joining the flock as they grow and confidence builds.

7. DuckDodgers

Nov 1, 2013
    OK I think I could manage some temporary fencing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by