Out of this breed list, can you identify my chicks?

Maybe waiting another 4 weeks or so, taking new pics and posting them might help. I know time is of the essence since you want to get replacement chicks ASAP though. Is there possibly a breeder closer by that has chicks you can buy in a few more weeks that will be similar in age to the ones you have? 3 hours drive to a hatchery when you can possibly get healthier birds of better quality closer to home might be a better option..just my 2 cents anyways.
smile.png
..and I just remembered that your Dark Cornish chicks will be chipmunk pattern with yellow legs and a pea comb.

Using a hatchery directory on motherearthnews.com, we found a few hatcheries. I live in Columbia County in New York. The one in Fayette is the only one that offers various breeds. There aren't even any in neighboring states that have chicks. And there definitely isn't anyone around here that is even a hobby farmer to get some from. Pretty sad...we live in an agricultural community, but breeders and hatcheries and whatnot have been wiped out by big factory hatcheries.

We didn't expect them to be "true" Araucanas...they were listed as Araucanas/Americanas. I'm ok with whatever they are...we just wanted blue or green eggs lol. But a Sussex means I can't get attached to their little chipmunk butts...because Sussex should be all roos for meat. I am NEVER ordering a variety pack of meat roos again. They send me the cute ones!!! A Turken...so ugly he's cute.

And it's weird because only Chicks 1, 2, and 3 have grey legs...or mostly grey legs. I really don't want to go look at the dead ones and see if we lost both of the girls that were supposed to be Araucana/Amer...

Chick 1 - Golden Laced Wyandotte OR Buff Rock

Chick 13 - Araucana or Sussex

Chick 14 - Sussex or Araucana

Chick 15 - Sussex or Araucana

Chick 16 - Araucana or Sussex

I am attempting to get on my laptop and put in our guesses next to the Chick # line. Except when I turned the laptop on, it said installing update 1 of 57. Grrr.
I'm pretty sure that the chick 13 and 16 are Dark Cornishes. I think that #15 is one too, #14 looks sort of like an EE.

Chick 1 - Golden Laced Wyandotte OR Buff Rock Not a Buff Rock--the chick would look like the Buff Orpington. What type of comb? It looks straight from this angle which Wyandottes don't have although may since it is from a hatchery.

Chick 2 - Barred Rock OR Black Australorp Hard to tell from this angle--if it has a white splotch/frosted patch at the top/back of the head it is barred=Barred Rock. If not, then Australorp.

Chick 3 - (no idea on this one) Same as above, look for headspot/frosting to tell if it is BR-I think I see one but it might be lighting.

Chick 4 - Columbian Wyandotte agree

Chick 5 - Columbian Wyandotte agree

Chick 6 - White Giant Agree

Chick 7 - Buff Orpington OR Red Star Most likely BO (white legs) or Buff Rock (yellow legs) , but could be RSL (yellow legs) not sure leg color form photo

Chick 8 - Buff Orpington OR Red Star For some reason this chick seems like a different breed than 8, again could be several as above. The legs I think are yellow in the photo--is that true? If so not BO, more likely Buff Rock

Chick 9 - Rhode Island Red Probably

Chick 10 - Rhode Island Red Possibly, but could be a New Hampshire--not sure what HQ chick down looks like, has a lighter underbelly

Chick 11 - Turken hard to miss that one!

Chick 12 - Araucana or Sussex (in the order of which one I'm leaning more strongly towards) Speckeld Sussex (looks like white/pink legs) single comb

Chick 13 - Araucana or Sussex I would go with Partridge Rock

Chick 14 - Sussex or Araucana Not Sussex, could be EE or Dark Cornish? Not sure

Chick 15 - Sussex or Araucana Seems too light for a SS and I think I see yellow legs, I don't see puffy cheeks (typical for an EE) maybe a Dark Cornish?--not sure on this one

Chick 16 - Araucana or Sussex Cant really see the head on this one--do you have another picture of the face?

I am attempting to get on my laptop and put in our guesses next to the Chick # line. Except when I turned the laptop on, it said installing update 1 of 57. Grrr.

My additions below are going to be in RED.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chick 1 - Golden Laced Wyandotte OR Buff Rock Not a Buff Rock--the chick would look like the Buff Orpington. What type of comb? It looks straight from this angle which Wyandottes don't have although may since it is from a hatchery.

Here are some more pictures of Chick 1.

Chick 2 - Barred Rock OR Black Australorp Hard to tell from this angle--if it has a white splotch/frosted patch at the top/back of the head it is barred=Barred Rock. If not, then Australorp.

Chick 3 - (no idea on this one) Same as above, look for headspot/frosting to tell if it is BR-I think I see one but it might be lighting.

Here are some pictures of Chicks 2 and 3. They used to look the same to me, but now one's head spot has blurred more into the black (Chick 3). The other one still has a definite head spot (Chick 2). Frosting...I like that better lol.

Chick 8 - Buff Orpington OR Red Star For some reason this chick seems like a different breed than 8, again could be several as above. The legs I think are yellow in the photo--is that true? If so not BO, more likely Buff Rock Yes, the legs are yellow. Not even a hint of another color in there.

Chick 12 - Araucana or Sussex (in the order of which one I'm leaning more strongly towards) Speckeld Sussex (looks like white/pink legs) single comb The legs on this one are a very light yellow with a hint of peach...hopefully the pictures below show it better.

Here are more pictures of Chick 12:

Chick 16 - Araucana or Sussex Cant really see the head on this one--do you have another picture of the face?

Here are some more pictures of Chick 16. As you see, he's being a jerk and not letting me see his face. When I flip him onto his back, he squirms and cheeps at the top of his tiny lungs.

Back
Top Bottom