Out of three who is male who is female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scorpioartist, Mar 13, 2012.

1. scorpioartist

scorpioartist New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    I got three baby chicks that hatched Christmas eve as straight run from someone local,its been almost 3 months,I would like to know which ones are female or male.Please help!!Thank you so much!!I have more pics if needed.
    [​IMG]

Left:penguin Middle:Nugget Right:Master Chief

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think you might have two hens and a roo. The roo would be the chick to the far right. Its' kind of difficult to be sure because the chicks are in the shade, so some more pics would be helpful.

You're looking for bigger, redder combs and wattles, and also sometimes the legs of the roos will look thicker, and also, you'll notice the saddle feathers and tail feathers will be more pronounced.

Another thing would be the hackle feathers (neck feathers) would be pointier.

Sharon

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm not so sure about Master Chief being a rooster yet.......Need a better pic....I'm not seeing much of a comb, so maybe they're all hens.....

4. tntblake

tntblake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    Do you have a closer side pic of the one on the right? The combs all look like pullets but the one on the right's tail looks funny. Are they Barred Rocks or mixes? If they are pure then their coloring says they are all pullets.

5. scorpioartist

scorpioartist New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

Left:Nugget Right:Master Chief
    Master Chief is taller,got thicker legs.

6. scorpioartist

scorpioartist New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Their dad is a Barred Rock,but the lady had 3 different hens,a copper maran,sex link and something else,my air head forgot...

7. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Did they have an Ameraucana or Easter egger, looks like they have beards

8. The one on the right looks like a rooster to me.

9. scorpioartist

scorpioartist New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    I didnt get to see the hens,it was night time when I picked them up.I have been suspicious of Master Chief,the body shape and stance from the beginning always made me suspect a Rooster,but since I am no chicken expert(my grandma had chickens,so all I know was feeding them as a kid,never tried to figure breeds or sexing)so I figured I would post here.Nugget and Master Chief love to climb the highest in the coop,I was hoping that Nugget wouldn't also be a Roo,I cant have Roosters where I live.We had to get rid of 2 last year.

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Im no expert of sexing by any means but Nugget has that sweet look going on while Master Chief has that look of confidence. Id say Nugget it a pullet and MC is a roo.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by