1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

" out to lunch" ~ dies, mystery solved

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dee Dee 2, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I have made a number of post concerning some of my chicken that became ill and despite my best efforts died. The symptoms of the birds illness was not all exactly the same. I finally was able to talk to the Dr. that is head of the department of Texas A. & M. University avian studies. The diagnosis is MAREKS. There are numerous strains of the disease exhibiting different symptoms. My J.G.'S which came from Taylor Hobby Farms were supposed to of been vaccinated for MAREKS. If they were it didn't work. I have lost 8 of the 12. If you Google MAREK'S SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS there is a great article on MAREK' S. Nasty disease ! [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's good that you found out what it was.
    Sometimes a vaccination will miss the wing of the baby bird and pass through. Did all of the vaccinated birds die?
    I believe there are different strains of vaccine just as there are several strains of the disease. Perhaps the wrong one.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sorry about your birds! Yes I believe 10% of vaccinated birds can still catch the mareks virus. The vaccine is not 100% but for now its all we have in defence of this disease. Also Mareks is litterly Everywhere. It can travel miles in the wind and stay on the land for years. The sad fact is we are ALL at risk for this disease. All we can do in defence is vaccinate and hope for the best. Hopefully some day they will come up with a better vaccine that's available to the public and not just hatcheries. Also when a baby bird is vaccinated she should be kept from exposure(outside land and adult birds) until her body has had time to develop immunities and antibodies. I read this is at the LEAST 14 days some say even longer. So if a bird is vaccinated and taken out side before given a chance for those antibodies to be produced she can catch the disease before her immunity and antibodies has had time to develop.many folks don't know this and after vaccination expose the birds to the outside and adult bird's right away. This puts the baby at risk and she can easily catch the disease BEFORE her antibodies are produced. So you would want to vaccinate and keep the vaccinated bird inside after vaccination for at the very least 14 days longer would be better. The longer the more antibodies she is able to produce. In many cases exposure before the antibodies are given a chance to be produced is a big reason for vaccination failure. The hatcheries don't tell you about this and many think its safe to take their babies outside because they were just vaccinated. When in fact its NOT safe. They must be given that time for those antibodies to be produced BEFORE taken outside. I hope this information helps. And I wish you the best and again I'm very very sorry about your birds

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by