Out we go!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maclady, Mar 21, 2011.

1. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Today is really windy and 73 here. I have had my BO chicks (4 1/2 wks old) outside in their run before. They were in their brooder raising a ruckus cause they wanted out so I took them out and put them inside their coop with the door closed due to the winds (10-20mph). Is this ok? I have only had them outside when it is calm and above 70. They have most of their feathers and just love it outside. I put food and water in the coop for them. This is their first time in the coop due to me just getting it finished. I bring them in at night since it still gets down into the low 40s. Am I doing this correctly? At what temp is it ok to leave them outside overnight? Or age? I will add a pic of them so you can see how feathered they are. I have all the vents open and the windows on the no wind side open completely. Tomorrow will be 84 and windy & then Friday back to 66/48 so trying to figure out what to do. Thank you for any input. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I heard that 8 weeks was when you move them out of brooder into coop

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You are doing a great job! They're cute as a button too......I would say they shouldn't stay outside all night until they are fully feathered......(That's just me though.....)

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I think they'll be fine if it doesn't get under 55 or so at night. Mine are three weeks old today and they've been out of the brooder since Saturday. It's 72 out now, and today was their first day with the hutch door open, where they can get out onto the ground and into the grass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    CityClucks your babies are so cute. I guess I will keep bringing them inside to their brooder as it starts to cool off in the evening. Temps are bouncing everywhere right now and they want outside! They were out two days in a row, then a cold day inside brooder and they were not happy and everyone knew it. [​IMG]

6. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    I put mine out at 4-5 weeks of age. I make a little hover for them out of that foil-bonded bubble wrap so they can scoot under it if they get cold. They do just fine. A lot depends on your weather conditions. It's been in the mid to upper seventies here.

CityClucks, I live in Tulsa, too, about 56th & S. Lewis! Right now we have 5 hens and 16 chicks. WHere are you?

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Quote:Hey Merryment - I am west of downtown - off of Charles Page Blvd near Newblock Park. Howdy, neighbor! [​IMG]

8. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    I have mine outsie in a coop, they are from 3 days old to 4 weeks and they love it out there, they go out in the run during the day and play at night I have a heat lamp for them. Chicks are stronger than we give them credit for. If they were born outside to a hen they would be out with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by