Outcast cockeral thinks hes a dog

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pbjmaker, Feb 12, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I think my mille d'uccle roo has issues. He is low man in the flock besides the "babies" and doesn't even hang out much with the other birds. Now apparently he has decided he is an indoor bird and flys over the fence every day then stands at the back door crowing until someone lets him in. I think the dogs have been talking to him. Has anyone else had a bird that is so outcast that he gets more attached to the humans than the flock?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I haven't had a chicken do it, but I once had a duck do it. He had a permanently wonky wing after an attack by a dog, and was the low man on the totem pole forever more. But as a house duck, he was #1.

Perhaps you should check into the threads for chicken diapers! Do the dogs bother him?

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I wouldn't trust them alone with him - they killed a young bird last year. (I think it was an accident)But when I'm around they don't get near the chickens. We just let him in the house for awhile and he sits on a chair back watching us on the computer or he watches tv. I'm not sure why he is such an outcast. He is healthy and the same size - but the some of the babies even have earned a higher rank than him in just the week they have been out there.

Maybe they just find him quirky?

4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Maybe he just wants to be a house chicken?
    Myabe the other chickens are not on his intelegence level and he finds them boring?
    maybe he is low man on the totam pole because he wants to be, that way he gts sympathy and more treats?
    the words Dumb Cluck do not obviously apply here lol.

house chickens are fun, best insect catcher you can buy.,

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I used to have a rooster that hung out with the barn cats. He even raised 2 kittens. He made them follow him. If they didn't want to follow, he dragged them by the ear.

6. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Quote:I would love to see that on video!!! I'm most positive it would have won America's Most Funniest Videos.

7. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    We had a manx kitten when I was a kid that's mother died when it was born.

It was raised with a big female boxer dog and a minni doxie dog...and it KNEW it was a dog.

It thundered down the hall with them and you could hear it's little feet hitting the ground, it drank water loud and messy like the dogs, it would fetch toys.

But most disturbing was it would run up to strange dogs that came into the yard and sniff their butts. [​IMG]

Yep: the other dogs would freak and go to attack it and then my two dogs would attack the new dog...which would run off, shaking its head.

Even animals know who their family is.

I think he 'knows' he's people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by