Outcast Sebright

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AQHAchick22, Oct 23, 2016.

1. AQHAchick22

AQHAchick22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    So I'm hoping somebody can help me...I would rather not rehome my hen but I'm starting to feel like I might need to.

I have a mixed flock of around 25 birds, all standard sized except for 1 sebright (I had 6 of them that slowly got taken by hawks, she's the last one). These chickens have all been together for about 3 years now. This lone Sebright had gotten along with everyone in the flock and then suddenly about 6 months ago they all just started going after her. I found her one day under the ramp to the coop with her head cut open and bloody.

I took her in, cleaned her up, let her get back on her feet and then placed her in her own little run within the bigger run so they could all get used to each other again. I kept her apart like that for a few weeks and then eventually let her outside to free range with them and right away they started chasing her and fighting. They will just grab her and pick her up and shake her.

The main problem (I think) is she doesn't know her size and won't back down to the bigger hens. I'm at a loss for what to do. I love this little hen but I can't see keeping her alone for the rest of her life. Especially with winter coming and how cold its going to be.

Suggestions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I seriously doubt that she will be able to survive being enclosed with this flock given the present circumstances. If she were mine, I would either rehome her or buy some bantam companions and set up a second flock.

2 people like this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I agree, you will need to permanently separate her, bantams are best kept with other bantams.

4. AQHAchick22

AQHAchick22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    Wahhhh [​IMG]
    This is what I figured unfortunately...I was just hoping there would be another way. It looks like I'll be starting a second flock of just bantams....hubby won't be happy haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by