Outdoor Aviary Birds

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by 18angovem, Nov 25, 2014.

1. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Hi, I am building a large aviary out of a greenhouse and wondered what birds could I keep. I dont want it to look too tropical and have fencing that is 2" by 4" so not too small of birds. I am getting ringneck doves but was looking for somethings else. Thanks for he input!

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ring neck doves will walk right thru 2"x4" wire.I would use smaller wire so no predators could get in.Pheasants look beautiful in a planted greenhouse.You could also have peafowl,quail,ducks,cockatiels,doves.A pair of each.How big is your greenhouse?
    In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  3. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    doves will go threw that to big anything larger than a homer will be able to be kept lot of things from outside can get n wild birds carry diaeases other crittters to

4. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    My greenhouse is 16' by 36' ft with a 100 foot pond in it and is almost 20 feet tall. I am getting quail, golden pheasanns, and I have ducks, getting wood ducks and mandarins. I have looked into peafowl but dont know. Oh an the top of the aviary is 2" by 4" the sides are 1" squares

5. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    There will also be tin on the side of the pens about 2 foot high,

6. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sounds good to me.Peafowl will fit nicely in there with all other birds mentioned.If you need red or yellow goldens I have plenty.And yes I do ship.If you want to buy birds locally,try Don Hungsinger in Montrose or Bill Lloyd in Marion Center.Tell either or both I said hi.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Are montrose and marion center in PA? And I want to get a pair of peafowl but I dont know because I have heard they are loud, but they are soooo pretty and would add a little tropical flare.

8. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Also how much would a pair of red goldens be?

9. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    when getting all these type birds togather in one pen you need to find out the needs of each individually some of the birds you mention become aggressive dureing breeding season peacocks are beautiful but are loud and can be aggressive toward other birds for sure i would do lot of research and talking to breeders before hand i have raised about everything you mention but always had them seperated

10. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes,they both are in Pa.They are usually loud when they roost.If you have no roost for them(which they should have)they may not call as much.You could always get peacock pheasants and get the same effect as peafowl.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Of course I can never get a frontal as he tends to keep his back to me and face his girl.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by