Outdoor brooder ideas/structure

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dsfrango, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Hello, I am just starting to incubate some eggs and have to build or buy an outdoor brooder. I'm no longer able to keep them in the cellar or garage unfortunately so that's my only alternative:( I need some ideas for size and structure that can house 20-30 chicks and be safe with the heat lamp attached or inside...ideas and pics are very much appreciated!:) thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

A shed!!

Lots of room and you can repurpose it for a shed when you aren't brooding. I have two shed coops and am using one now as a coop. You can cut a pop door if needed.

3. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    30 chicks times 4 = 120 square feet of coop. 12' x 12' shed would work and give room for nesting boxes, feeders and waterers.

30 chicks times 10 = 300 square feet for the run. 20' x 30' run will work.

4. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Thanks for the ideas so far, I already have a few coops including a 16X8ft an 8X8 and 3 other smaller 3X4's. I can't go to big with the brooder. For 20-30 chicks Ive never heard of needing 4sq ft per bird...once they are about 2 months old and can leave the light, out they go to one of my coops! I was thinking like a 4x2 only about 3ft tall but I just have no idea what structure to build around the light and have it safe and also animal proof...

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh- if you want to go smaller then check out the "purina coop"- there are lots of threads and pics if you google it and search BYC.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...p=purina+coop&fr=chr-greentree_gc&fr2=piv-web
    image search results via yahoo

If you do the Purina Coop make sure you realize that when you put the walls on, there is a gap between the wall and the 2 x 4 where you have to add another 2 x 4 before you put the wall on. You will see what I'm talking about right before you put the walls on- check for a gap there.

6. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I got this for free from a neighbor and turned it into an outdoor brooder. I have started a lot of chicks in it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Wow that's pretty cool! I am searching craigslist almost every day to find a preconstructed coop, hutch, or box. It's so much easier that way to get a box and just add on or modify...half my coops were preconstructed and I put together and made them more liveable for my birds...

8. chickieluver26

chickieluver26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Just finished building my outdoor brooder. It is 2 feet wide,4 feet long and 3.5 feet tall, but if you use this design you could make it larger. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope you like it!

1 person likes this.
  9. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs

Not bad looking:) bigger than what I ended up doing haha
    I actually had an idea to use a dresser. Take out the drawers except the bottom which could be pulled out and dumped. Plexiglass on the whole front and make a hinged top and that's it. I ended up with this small cabinet, took the doors off, screwed plexiglass to it and covered it with a metal dog crate bottom tray. It's good for the 20-25 that I hatched out for a good few weeks until I put them in a bigger coop with the light

Thanks everyone

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by