Outdoor brooder - think I'll need to hang a lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nana2KJS, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    DH said no more chicks in the basement - how many times have we heard that one? I had to have something outside and get them out there as soon as they are dry.

I put this together from playpen panels and hardware cloth - with the brooder box at one end. The whole thing is inside an unused dog kennel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I went out to take the pictures, it was nearly 100degrees at the brooder box end. I will definitely need to get another piece of shade cloth over the corner.

Need opinions on whether or not I will need to hang a lamp over the box. It is 90-95 daily, and staying in the mid 70s at night. I'm thinking perhaps I should hang it for the overnight and turn it off before the sun comes up. What do you all think?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes - I'd put the lamp on a cheap timer to come on around 7PM and turn off around 10am just to be safe... Is the top of the storage tote brooder wire??? Do you have rain protection???

3. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    Timer is a good idea. Thanks. I have covered all the panels with hardware cloth and have a piece of plastic to cover the south end if it rains.

The brooder box has a screened lid that locks down, and a hole cut in the side so the babies can get out if they want.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:You have a very nice brooder. It's over 100 degrees outside and I brought all my chicks in the house. My coop is too hot and we don't have shade outside for them. My 3, 12 week olds are hanging out in the kitchen for the last 8 hours and the 5 littler ones are in a kennel downstairs.[​IMG]. I'm cleaning up every time they mess and spraying with Lysol. I'm shocked my dh is allowing them free range in the kitchen.

The heat lamp on the timer sounds good or just turn it on in the evening. If your chicks are over 4 weeks and feathered, I wouldnt worry about the light.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    Haha! I can just see you chasing those little fluffy butts around with a spray bottle and a paper towel! Way to go DH!

Unfortunately my babies aren't even due to hatch till this weekend. Just trying to have everything ready for them for a change.

6. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    [​IMG]

Working pretty good - so far my mom is the timer. She loves coming over to see these little ones. Temps staying low to mid 90's, but had to unplug the lamp a little this afternoon so it wouldn't get too warm., We almost had a disaster on our hands when my mom pulled the box out and left it under the lamp in the wrong place. When she came back a couple hours later the wood trim on the top of the box was charred. Lesson learned mom!

We got 5 hatched out of 6 eggs - and the 6th had a crack in it to start with, so I'm pleased. We are such amateurs, but we are sure having a good time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by