Noi

Songster
Apr 12, 2019
Central VA
Hello, all!
I'm Noi, it's nice to meet all of you :)

We just moved to VA (Hanover county) and my first chicks are coming in 2 weeks. So excited!

I ordered 15 of a few different kinds (at least 2 each sho they'll each have a buddy), all of which are supposed to be hardy, healthy breeds who tolerate the cold really well, because we're renting and this is the set up we're going to use (see pic, hopefully it will let me attach).

It's a huge run, completely secure from predators, but no roof and the only shelter in there right now is the long wooden box.

I have 2 questions...
Our landlord said he's raised chickens there just like that (no coop) for years and all were fine, and I know many breeds used to just live outdoors and obviously they're still around.
I'd like too know what you all think - especially from the "natural chicken raising" folks, as I have enough of the "you must start them indoors and use a heater in winter" opinions on all the Facebook groups - will they be ok? What kinds of shelter *that isn't a coop* can I provide for them, if needed, that is easy and cheap to create? I'm thinking adult chickens won't need it until winter but I'd like to be prepared.

Second, I LOVE the mama heating pad way of brooding- it makes so much more sense to me - and I plan on doing that. Would you set up the brooder in that covered nesting shelter? I was thinking of putting it in one end (with room behind it so they can get out) and letting them have the length of it foot shelter, deciding how far they want to venture out. They have the whole run, no other animals in there so they'll be safe venturing out.
Will they get lost if they venture out too far? Do I need to box them in a little for a while?

Ok, sorry, one more question - what hearing plate should I get for 15 chicks? I'm not sure I want to use a heating pad but I know which one to get if I go that route.
IMG-20190408-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20190408-WA0015.jpg

TIA for all your help and advice - I've been reading so much on this site and just love all the support and info that is shared here!

How tall is that run space? Even if you don't want to build a coop, I'd make something of a roofed area or a lean-to, so the birds can take cover during rain or snow. If you want to build something super cheaply you could probably use pallets or construction waste to make a frame, and then just cover it with a tarp.

I have a MHP, haven't tried brooding plates myself. They work similarly but some plates do have minimum recommended temps so that's something you want to check before buying one.

I would limit how far they can venture at first, to ensure that chicks can easily find their way back to food, water and heat. Assuming you're getting very young chicks, I would block them in maybe half the box for the first week or two, then you can give them the whole box for a week after that, then by that point they should be old enough to venture out into the rest of the run.

Hello, all!
I'm Noi, it's nice to meet all of you :)

We just moved to VA (Hanover county) and my first chicks are coming in 2 weeks. So excited!

I ordered 15 of a few different kinds (at least 2 each sho they'll each have a buddy), all of which are supposed to be hardy, healthy breeds who tolerate the cold really well, because we're renting and this is the set up we're going to use (see pic, hopefully it will let me attach).

It's a huge run, completely secure from predators, but no roof and the only shelter in there right now is the long wooden box.

I have 2 questions...
Our landlord said he's raised chickens there just like that (no coop) for years and all were fine, and I know many breeds used to just live outdoors and obviously they're still around.
I'd like too know what you all think - especially from the "natural chicken raising" folks, as I have enough of the "you must start them indoors and use a heater in winter" opinions on all the Facebook groups - will they be ok? What kinds of shelter *that isn't a coop* can I provide for them, if needed, that is easy and cheap to create? I'm thinking adult chickens won't need it until winter but I'd like to be prepared.

Second, I LOVE the mama heating pad way of brooding- it makes so much more sense to me - and I plan on doing that. Would you set up the brooder in that covered nesting shelter? I was thinking of putting it in one end (with room behind it so they can get out) and letting them have the length of it foot shelter, deciding how far they want to venture out. They have the whole run, no other animals in there so they'll be safe venturing out.
Will they get lost if they venture out too far? Do I need to box them in a little for a while?

Ok, sorry, one more question - what hearing plate should I get for 15 chicks? I'm not sure I want to use a heating pad but I know which one to get if I go that route.
View attachment 1738684 View attachment 1738685
TIA for all your help and advice - I've been reading so much on this site and just love all the support and info that is shared here!
:welcome

How tall is that run space? Even if you don't want to build a coop, I'd make something of a roofed area or a lean-to, so the birds can take cover during rain or snow.

It's taller than a person!
Ok, I'll find a way to limit their space for the first couple of weeks.
I'll also double check the minimum temp for the plate, though I doubt there would be a problem in early May in VA...
Thank you for the info and advice!
I can't wait for them to get here :)
(I ordered day-old chicks)

I would want to provide something, even non permanent or moveable, inside the run for roosting/shelter in winter especially. They like to be higher up, and even cold hardy ones might not appreciate snow... and you’ll want to provide some protection from drafts, wind, driving rain/snow.

I would think about the roosting box areas of the larger chicken tractors, and just place it inside the run, but that is still a little bit like a “coop”. I suppose you could do an open front towards the building side and a 3 walled shelter... that would block a bit more weather than just a roofed section.

If you don’t mind my asking, what aren’t you looking for in a coop and why do you want to avoid one? Knowing this might help with suggestions that better meet your needs...

Hi Kris,
Thanks for your input.

I'm not sure how keen my land lord is to let me build/add/change things in the run, as it's his and he seems to think they don't need anything...
So I will not be building a coop this year. But I will make some kind of a 3-sided, roofed shelter for them, and/or maybe cover some of the fence with a tarp for some added weather protection.

Maybe we can raise the nesting box thingie once they're big and winter comes? That should give good shelter... and there are plastic containers they could lay in, in addition to that.
Thoughts?

I can’t suggest a heat plate because I’ve never used one.
It looks like you have all you need in the run. We elevate nest boxes to save floor space, and to reach the eggs easily. The girls will lay in the dirt for all they care.
Plastic totes make great shelters and nest boxes, and you can lay/cut them many ways to make it work. Lid on, lid off...
The box looks like it will provide shelter. They don’t need insulation in the winter. That is another fussy thing people do.
Chickens do like to roost, but even putting a ladder (or a board across two saw horses) will work for that.
We crazy people worry too much about pampering our birds. If you want more information, look for a Hawaii thread. I know they still have wild chickens.

If you want, maybe you can ask to plant one or two 3-5’ trees in there. Dwarf apple sounds good. :lol: Unfortunately, it’s not helpful in the winter. I was actually thinking evergreens. They will provide shade and cover from the elements when the birds don’t feel like going in the box.

Back
Top Bottom