Outdoor Coop Camera

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stevetheipad, Oct 27, 2014.

1. stevetheipad

stevetheipad New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    Greetings! I've had chickens for about a year but I just joined Backyard Chickens today and it seems like a cool place.

Anyways, here's my situation. I have three chickens in a fairly small coop that has a box attached to it that they go to lay eggs and sleep. The coop is about thirty feet from my house, where the nearest outlet is. I want to be able to watch my chickens and see if they have laid an egg yet for the day on my computer. Therefore, I'd like an IP camera.

I need some advice here though because there are several special needs I have.

1) Outdoor Ability - The box is mostly protected by the rain but I don't want the camera to die from a drop of water here and there or from getting cold in the winter or hot in the summer.

2) See in the dark - The box where they lay is dark and I'd need it to have decent night vision.

3) Battery - because the nearest outlet is so far from the coop, powering the camera is a problem. If there is a discreet way of hiding a power cord, could you let me know? Or maybe a battery system? Solar power? Keep in mind I'm not good with electronics (at least doing my own wiring and whatnot)

4) Cost - this is just a fun project so I don't want to spend more than $80 ($50 would be best).

5) IP cameras would need to use wifi not ethernet.

Thanks for your help!

2. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    I am hunting cameras as well, and I think I am going to go with the Foscam 8910W for my coop...they run $60 on Amazon. There are a couple of folks that use them and i have seen a couple in action and the pic is good and offers IR capability (Night vision). They are wifi or ethernet.
    I am going to run an extension cord out to our coop...also about 30 feet away...and use a power strip to power it as well as the auto coop door. It is not weatherproof, so if you could afford it a bit of extra protection, it would be good. :)

3. stevetheipad

stevetheipad New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
  4. stevetheipad

stevetheipad New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    yeah, that one looks nice. Do you literally just mount it, plug it into power and then it's alls et up and you can watch it on your computer?

5. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    You have to set it up I believe thru the router, but there is a great video from Foscam out there on youtube on how to do it step by step. With this one, you can also use your phone to see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by