1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Outdoor Feeder Shelters....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenpiedpiper, Aug 4, 2008.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Hello, I have a small free range flock, and need want to build some sort of attractive shelter over the galvanized feeders. Preferably movable, but not tippy? Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or tips? I am at a loss.....! Thanks!

2. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I made a feeder with a shelter, but also I got a egloo dog house and took the bottom off and use it in one pen for the feeder. Got it off freecycle went to get some fence and said I could have that too [​IMG]

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:ChickenPiedPiper - Thanks for asking. This is something I have ben considering also. I have a flock of ducks, geese and chickens that free range at the barn all of the time. I need something that I can put their feed in, keep it from getting wet and keep it from being dumped by the goats / horses. PICS would be greatly appreciated.

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Quote:Get an egloo and take the bottom off. Drill small hole in the top and put in a J hook to hold your feeder.

5. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Thank you! Though I am looking for something more aesthetically pleasing than an egloo, the principal is sound. You see my Yard and gardens are within site of my retail business, and my chicken flock is an attraction for my customers and thier children.

6. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    How about a simple Lean-to type of frame covered in plywood, put in and extra support bar about a 1/3 of the way in for the feeders to hang off of. Make it a bit bigger and the chicks could hide in the shade too.... Then you could paint it to match the buildings.

7. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    This is my first time posting to these forums, so hopefully I will do this picture ok.

This is one I built for our ducks and chicks so they would have an outdoor hangout. We put a feeder in there also (this pic was taken when I finished it, so it doesn't show the feeder, but we just put a small one in there).

The wood was recycled from a playhouse the children used to have, and the lettering on the signs was woodburned onto the wood signs.

Oh, and the "Beach" sign points to the pond area. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  8. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG]
    Ok that is the cutest thing ever! I want one...gotta show this one to my DH! I'm gonna go build one now!
    [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by