Outdoor Feeders

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rich Marshall, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Opinions needed...If I keep chicken feed outside in my enclosed coop will it attract the rodents or do most keep feed in the house and leave the door open?
    Also I am going to build a feeder into the side wall of my coop so if there are any great feeder designs I would love to see them.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. JackE

JackE Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I keep my feeder and water fount inside the coop. In the summer, I'll put an extra waterer out in the yard for them. Around here, if I left the feeder outside, the wild birds here would make short work of it. Also, after awhile, I would think the spilled feed on the ground would attract rodents. I leave their pop door open during the day so the birds can come and go as they want. Your feeder idea going through the wall is a good idea, do a search, there are a lot of homemade feeder plans.
    Jack

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. jnswright

jnswright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    North Texas
    I keep the feed and water in the run, nothing in the coop.
    I also remove the feed/feeder every night when I go to close the ladies up. I know if I leave feed out, it will most definitely attract rodents - no doubt.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I keep feed in the chicken yard in the feeders because the ducks and geese like to snack during the night.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Tennessee Plateau
    Heres one I built from scrap wood... it holds about 65# of pellets.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Love it thanks for all the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by