Outdoor Italian Dining Experience

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by suburban farm girl, Oct 23, 2008.

1. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    So last night I'm hanging out in the backyard with my girls - they were enjoying some free ranging time while I relaxed at the end of the day. DH brought me a plate of spaghetti (he often cooks dinner for us - what a guy, hunh? And he's a really good cook). (You know where this is going, but it was just so cute and fun I had to share !)

Everyone is oblivious to my plate except for one EE who came up to me. It was like I could understand her little chicken noises, "Whatcha got?" she asked. I answered her just as I was about to take my first bite. "Spaghetti. Want some?" "Yeah. Sure." I hold a piece of pasta out for her and she snags it from my fingers and slurps it down. She's back for more before I can take my own bite. After 4 or 5 repeats of this, the others figure out something good is getting passed out, and I've got 9 chickens gathered around me, all wanting a taste. They showed amazingly good manners and didn't jump onto the chair - or my plate (!). They waited for me to choose a strand of pasta and hold it out in my fingers, and very nicely took it. I had a moment of concern when I noticed a raw, apparently bleeding spot on one of the girl's combs. When I noticed the same condition on 3 others I realized it was spaghetti sauce. [​IMG] Everyone got a good sampling and voted DH the best spaghetti cook in the area.

Who knew chickens could be such entertaining companions? (And yes, I did manage to eat some of the spaghetti myself...)

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    What a very sweet scene that I'm picturing. You have some extraordinarily civilized chickens! Will they show up with little red checkered napkins around their necks next time?

3. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LOL I can just imagine all your chickens with napkins around their necks [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh, and a utensil in each foot trying to balance on their little bums.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I hope you offered them extra hand-shredded asiago cheese with each strand...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    [​IMG] Mine LOVE parmesan. Can you imagine what the Europeans think of us?
    Feeding our chickens spaghetti [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  6. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    How cute! I'll have to try spahetti for mine. They just started eating out of my hand and boy I never realized a peck could be so hard! I do wish you had pics!

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Isn't it cute watching them slurp up the strands like little kids?

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    OMG my chickens are RUDE RUDE RUDE, and I've only got 4. I can't imagine a meal outside without a (live) chicken winding up ON my plate.

9. suburban farm girl

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Actually, I was trying to figure out how to tie one around their combs ! Maybe moist towels for their after dining "toilette" would be simpler. [​IMG]:lau

10. suburban farm girl

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:It's a good thing slurping pasta is acceptable because I don't think they could manage twirling the strands onto their forks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by