Outdoor lighting?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gracejones, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Gracejones

Gracejones New Egg

Oct 19, 2012
    My chickens usually have the run of the garden and love to dust bath in the sunshine. However, I am going to have to confine them to their run soon and would like to have a grassy area attached to their run instead of letting them out into the garden. At the moment they dust bath in the spaces where I usually plant tomatoes so its very sunny and they love it.
    If I go ahead and create an added bit onto their run, they won't get the sunshine as much. Its a lot more shaded and winter times has even less sun.
    So I was wondering about outdoor lighting, specifically grow lighting - is this suitable for chickens? I was only going to shine it onto their dustbath area to make it more inviting for them. I love watching them bask and snuggle in the sun, and it just seems such a shame for that to have to stop.
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    build them a sand box (frame and pour play sand into it add in some DE) then you can shine a light onto it to warm the sand for them to lay in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by