Outdoor or Barn Brooders ~ Please post pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SGM, Nov 17, 2008.

1. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I need to be able to brood my chicks outside but for the life of me can't see how I can make a warm enough brooder outside when its so cold. How do you do yours? Right now our chicks are in the house and I'd like to change that. I wouldn't even mind them being inside for a little while but moving them outside before 6 weeks would be nice.

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have my brooder out in my big chicken coop, it seems to work good. I keep the really small bantams and young chicks inside, but once they are a couple weeks old they go out to the outside brooder.

My brooder has a solid wood door and back, with wood halfway up the sides, screening the other half for ventilation. It is only 3x3 so it only needs one heat lamp to keep it warm enough. My understanding is that it only needs to be really warm in part of the brooder, so they just stay under the heat lamp if they are too cold. Mine wander all over though and then run back to the lamp for naps or to warm up.

On really cold nights like last night, I put on an additional small space heater set on a low setting, just to keep the major chill out of the air. I don't want it too warm in there, but not below 30 either.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I dont know if this helps, but this is what i set up for mine in the shed.
    The first pic shows the cage i used til they needed more room.
    The second i just put the wood stuff in so they could get closer to the heat lamp if they needed to. In New England they really need options as the temp change so much in a day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Thanks! Both your brooders are great and give me ideas. Thanks!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    This spring I used the design from www.plamondon.com (poke around to find his chicken stuff, then look for 'insulated hover brooder' or some such thing -- there are more detailed instructions for building it in his book "Raising Baby Chicks" but the material on the website is adequate for construction info)

I only had 20 chicks and doubt I'll ever have mroe at one time so I made mine 2x4', with two bulbs in it. I will add a photo of mine "in action" to this post if stupid Photobucket ever finishes loading [​IMG]

(e.t.a. - ok. Boy I hate photobucket on dialup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worked well for me (this was in a bldg where air temperatures were around 45 F, tho Plamondon sez [and I believe him] that it can be used much colder)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  6. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Here are some pictures of the brooder I made that I keep in our shop which isn't heated. I've had good luck with it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light is fastened on the top of the wire so there isn't any chance of it falling into the brooder. Since I took these pictures I've divided the doors on each side so you only open a half of each side at a time. One thing I really like about it is it can be divided into 2 brooder with a partition in the middle and putting a light on each side. Also with it raised like it is, I don't have to bend over so far to take care of the chicks. My knees aren't what they use to be. The blue is some knit polyester fabric I put over the shavings for new chicks for about a week and then they are on shavings. It can be washed and reused.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I most always start my babies in the basement, just so I can keep a close eye on them. I move them to my barn with a heat lamp (100 watt or 250 watt depending in time of year)

These are my two pens in the barn, nothing fancy:
    [​IMG]

8. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:That's a Great setup you have. But the icing on the cake is the startled look of the chick in the first pic at the bottom middle [​IMG] : [​IMG] that's really really CUTE. You should crop that photo and blow it up! That's how I feel I look when startled, too!

9. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Thanks for posting your question... some great ideas here.

I do think I'm going to (try) to build one similar to Featherfooted for the meatie chicks we're ordering soon.

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    This is what I am using but they are already flying out of it and only 1 1/2 weeks old.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by